Kafatek Monolith Titan Flat Grinder 2019. Reviews and Recommendations?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
davidhunternyc

#1: Post by davidhunternyc »

Hello,
In another topic of mine I was considering the purchase of either the Baratza Sette 270Wi or the Niche Zero. I've asked questions, watched videos, and did my homework. Between these two grinders if I had to purchase one today it would be the Niche Zero. Then again, what if there was something better. After more homework I came across the Kafatek Monolith Titan Flat Grinder. When I typed these words into the Home-Barista search bar the threads I found were either old and comments were closed or the topic was about the older version of the Kafatek Monolith Flat. Is there anyone who has used the new version here as of 2019?

https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monol ... o-grinder/

Why did I gravitate towards the flat over the conical? I watched a video of the differences in grinds between these two burr sets. I am in love with Maldon salt I was taken by the flat structure of grinds made with flat burrs. Even though it's of common agreement that flat burrs are better used for lighter to medium roasts and conicals are better suited for darker roasts I still prefer the flat burrs for darker roasts myself. There's just something special about those flat burrs.

I'm looking for reviews of this new version of the Kafatek Flat but I can't find any. Have they been made? Also, what are the positive and negative attributes of this grinder? For instance, would I easily be able to dial between fine espresso grinds and coarse grinds for a French Press. I know I would have to be one of those lucky people to get on the list to purchase a Kafatek but in the meantime I would like to learn as much as I can about this seemingly fine grinder. Thank you.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

It just works, so not much need to talk about it. I have a V1, unclear if all the improvements between than and now have made it grind better other than the burr improvements which I can install if I want. It's easier to use now, it's a bit safer now if you like to stick your fingers down its throat and it's gotten easier to adjust with the removal of the tightening screw to hold the setting in place. For single dosing, it doesn't get much better.

The class seems to be the Monolith or the EG-1 with the "coming soon" Option-O mystery flat claiming to be as good, but no one's seen one yet to say.

If you can afford it and manage to obtain one, it will likely be the last grinder you buy. Unless there is a significant change in grinder concept that appears, roller or some other technology.

If you can get any Monolith Flat and put up with it not being the "newest," you'll likely be set for life. You might want to upgrade to the newest burrs if it's still got the Mythos burrs in it, but that's about it.

Ira

Nate42

#3: Post by Nate42 »

The monolith flat has had minor iterations to its design since its original release, but its fundamentatlly the same grinder. Any older reviews and experiences are still valid. It shouldn't be that hard to find info. You may be overdoing the search terms, if you just search for monolith flat you will get plenty of results. As a large burr flat designed for single dosing in a home environment (that actually fits under cabinets), there's basically nothing else in its class other than the similarly pricey EG-1. They are extremely well regarded grinders and I'm not aware of anyone regretting buying one. I certainly still love mine.

You may also be thinking of the new flat max, which is a bigger, better (one hopes), and even more expensive flat burr grinder. There's fairly recent posts on the user experience here: User Experience: Kafatek Monolith Flat MAX . Personally I'm not in the market for a max since I'm quite happy with the original flat and I don't think the max would fit under my cabinets. But its out there, and also very highly regarded.

mathof

#4: Post by mathof »

davidhunternyc wrote: [W]ould I easily be able to dial between fine espresso grinds and coarse grinds for a French Press.
I have the first version of the Kafatek Flat, with the Mythos burrs. There is no problem switching from fine grinds for espresso to relatively coarse ones for French press; they are both good.

AndyinTexas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by AndyinTexas »

I have owned the new Flat for about three months.

I will never buy another grinder again, other than if I am lucky enough to get one again in a relevant time period a second Flat or Max for a second home.

It is easy to use, built like a rock, and meets every expectation I had. It allows me to dial in grinds with the most precision I have ever experienced. And that has not always been easy for me.

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

^^^ Coming up on 3-years of daily use with my Monolith Flat and couldn't have said it better and agree 100%.
No Espresso = Depresso

nismo270r

#7: Post by nismo270r »

I have also been using my V1 Flat since it arrived for both espresso and pour over, although the Bunzilla usually is on pour over duty. Like others have said, once you have one, it cures the grinder upgraditis. I haven't felt the need for a new grinder since it arrived, but I am interested to do some comparison to the conical version side-by-side. Everything I have read says there is no discernible difference, but I think it would be a blast to compare the two either way.
Chris
LMWDP #509

N6GQ

#8: Post by N6GQ »

I have a late 2018 MonoFlat with the SSP burr set. Its a tank. As everyone else has said, its likely the last grinder you'll ever need.

I use mine for espresso only. Tried it for pour-over and it does just fine, but going back and forth between pour over and espresso grind doesn't feel right to me, so I got another dedicated grinder for the few times I do pour over or french press (usually for guests).

The differences between early MonoFlats and current models are incremental improvements.

The price difference between the Baratza or NZ is significant though, so that's a consideration.

I do mostly light to medium roasts, never do dark roasts, so the flat suits me just fine.

For me, I just wanted the best I could get - it was a gift to myself after enduring some nasty life crises. It gave me something to look forward to, something like a reward for making it. I'm glad I did. Its something like a trophy in my kitchen, reminding me of triumph. Right next to my Londinium R - another pleasurable machine that's built like a tank.

Long and short - do it. You won't be sorry. And if by some chance you are sorry, you'd have no problem selling it.

Beewee

#9: Post by Beewee »

Do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find a number of mega threads on Monolith grinders. If you want something outside of HB, there's these posts as well: https://www.meticulist.net/blog/best-si ... er-options
https://www.meticulist.net/blog/kafatek ... at-grinder

As others have mentioned, the Flat has mostly remained unchanged but with each batch, Dennis has made minor tweaks/improvements. The biggest of which is the newer burr adjustment mechanism that doesn't require you to tighten a locking knob. This is by far the biggest improvement as far as ease of use goes. Smaller tweaks include a little shield inside the funnel to keep the odd bean from flying out so you don't need to cover the opening while grinding. Grind quality has always been top notch.

I've used for the Flat for brew and espresso. The build quality and the overall simplicity in its design ensures that it will last a very very long time. In short, if you're not getting satisfactory results, it's more likely that your technique needs work, other parts of your workflow needs improvement (i.e. temperature stability, portafilter hole uniformity, etc.), or your roast/beans are subpar, than the grinder being the issue.

JokerJacket

#10: Post by JokerJacket »

AndyinTexas wrote:I have owned the new Flat for about three months.

I will never buy another grinder again, other than if I am lucky enough to get one again in a relevant time period a second Flat or Max for a second home.

It is easy to use, built like a rock, and meets every expectation I had. It allows me to dial in grinds with the most precision I have ever experienced. And that has not always been easy for me.
I haven't seen any picture of the newer one inside the chamber, but does the new Flat from this year have a spinning metal post attached to the center inside the chamber for better bean distribution?