Kafatek Monolith Titan Flat Grinder 2019. Reviews and Recommendations? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcrussell50

#11: Post by pcrussell50 » Oct 09, 2019, 2:56 pm

2018 Flat SSP

-Grinds well for espresso
-Grinds fine enough for super long pre infusion (if you have that capability in your espresso machine)
-I cannot get mine to grind on any setting finer than about 1.5, below which the output flow stalls out. And at that, you have to hot-load the beans and trickle them in slowly too, or it might still stall. Fortunately this is more than fine enough any traditional espresso, and also fine enough for most long PI flow profiles.
-You can grind coarse enough for brew if you are not a picky brew drinker. Picky brew drinkers I know, have other grinders for that. It might be a better brew grinder if you have the regular burrs and not SSP On Edit: In the post below, Dick debunks my guess.
-If you go back and forth between espresso and brew, as with the Vario, you have to run the motor with no beans and turn the adjustment funnel back and forth to relieve internal stresses and re-zero the burr contact, in order for your formerly dialed in espresso setting to remain valid
-I am told that the non-SSP burrs are more resistant to stalling at super fine settings but have no personal experience to back this
-If the intangibles of exclusivity, aesthetics, look and feel are important to you then it is untouchable

My guess is, if you have the regular burrs and not the SSP, it will be a better brew grinder while still being an awesome espresso grinder, though at the expense of the extreme fine end of the spectrum where you would need long pre infusion/flow control. If your espresso machine doesn't do that, you may in fact be better off with the regular burrs. On Edit: In the post below, Dick debunks my guess about the regular Mythos burrs being better for drip than the SSPs.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Peppersass
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Peppersass » Oct 09, 2019, 4:21 pm

I upgraded my Flat to the SSP burrs and have not noticed any difference in quality or consistence of the brew grind from the original Mythos burrs.

ConFlatExp

#13: Post by ConFlatExp » Oct 11, 2019, 5:11 pm

JokerJacket wrote:I haven't seen any picture of the newer one inside the chamber, but does the new Flat from this year have a spinning metal post attached to the center inside the chamber for better bean distribution?
only the new version of flat max has that feature as of now

Ejquin

#14: Post by Ejquin » replying to ConFlatExp » Oct 11, 2019, 8:48 pm

That's not correct. Kafatek introduced a new "bean turbine" in the latest max's that are being assembled. But just a "metal post" on the inside - my flat from earlier this year has that.

Also, in regards to brew, when I ordered my flat I asked Denis what burrs he would recommend for pour overs and his answer was the SSPs. Said there were less fines with the SSPs.

Randy G.

#15: Post by Randy G. » Oct 12, 2019, 5:26 pm

I just took the top portion of my MC3 conical for its first internal cleaning of the burrs and grind chamber after about 7 months of use. I was pleased to find very high quality burrs- they are genuine Mazzer Robur burrs to be precise. While I have not yet had the opportunity to use the MC3 for espresso, it creates a perfect grind for Turkish coffee that resembles something approaching talc. I loved my Kony, but I now have a "Robur" that even Mazzer would be jealous of. I really liked the design and engineering of the Mazzer and the simplicity of the upper burr mounting and adjustment mechanism, but the Monolith takes that so much further in terms of simplicity and accuracy that a comparison is pointless.

Flat vs. conical? I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference. Because I always home roasted I was able to blend and roast to match my personal tastes anyway. Above that, I wish I had the money to have both to compare. But I can't imagine being displeased with anything that Denis produces.
Espresso! My Espresso!
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

nosboss

#16: Post by nosboss » Oct 18, 2019, 9:43 am

Randy G. wrote: While I have not yet had the opportunity to use the MC3 for espresso, it creates a perfect grind for Turkish coffee that resembles something approaching talc.
Finally, someone who tested the MC3 for turkish grind! Can you provide more detail into your experience for grinding turkish? Is it a true turkish grind or just 'close enough'? Does the MC3 struggle/clog when grinding this fine? Is the grind setting consistent or have you had to adjust it due to shifting? What type of roast have you experimented with for turkish? Thank you!

pcrussell50

#17: Post by pcrussell50 » replying to nosboss » Oct 18, 2019, 10:38 am

This isn't the MC3, because I have the Flat with SSP...

I enjoy Turkish coffee (I'm half Greek), but I don't think the Flat can do it. At least not with SSP burrs. At or below about setting 1.5 it becomes very prone to clogging, even if you feed the beans in slowly, which is huge PITA.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Randy G.

#18: Post by Randy G. » Oct 18, 2019, 6:34 pm

nosboss wrote:Finally, someone who tested the MC3 for Turkish grind! Can you provide more detail into your experience for grinding Turkish? Is it a true Turkish grind or just 'close enough'? Does the MC3 struggle/clog when grinding this fine? Is the grind setting consistent or have you had to adjust it due to shifting? What type of roast have you experimented with for Turkish? Thank you!
Other than the auto Turkish home machines I have no real experience with Turkish coffee. I am currently using an Okka. The sludge at the bottom of the cup is actually drinkable if you like that sort of thing. In the past I have used whatever home roast I had on hand that I used for espresso which was never darker than about 10 to 15 seconds or so into 2nd. I am currently using Peets, medium roast, whole bean called "Big Bang."

I can slow the grind output to virtually zero if I adjust the MC3 fine enough, but is shows no hint of struggling with that grind setting or any other. If I rub the grind I use for Turkish with a finger tip it reacts or feels almost like a talc powder. It is not very fast at that setting, but I have never timed it. Don't have a scale either. A little more coarse from the Turkish setting it puts out a grind that resembles a fine particulate (which makes beach sand look coarse) but visually very consistent in particle size. I grind for Turkish at about the same setting every time and can easily replicate that grind by placing the arrow in the same position even after disassembling the top and removing the top burr.

Hope that is something that you can use to help decide. PM me if you would like me to grind some of your coffee for you.
Espresso! My Espresso!
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

pcrussell50

#19: Post by pcrussell50 » Oct 18, 2019, 7:09 pm

Good report ^^^

I should say that when I go too fine and the grind stalls, I don't mean that the motor labors in any way. It does not. What stalls is the "flow" through the burrs, while the motor continues to run effortlessly.

Just in case there is confusion.

-Peter
LMWDP #553