KafaTek Monolith production update - Page 44

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeekid

#431: Post by coffeekid »

I have a Monolith Flat on order for later this summer, and I realize it's premature for me to be thinking about upgrades, but: Does anyone know the largest diameter flat burrs that the Monolith Flat is capable of receiving? I know Denis was originally mounting 80mm flat burrs before switching over to 75mm because of availability issues. Is 80mm the largest the MF can mount? Could the MF accept, say, 98mm EK43 burrs?

I don't know much about burr designs, but I'm guessing that the compatibility limitations would be [1] maximum diameter of the grinding chamber, [2] mounting bolt circle diameter (BCD) and number for physical installation, and [3] power of the motor to actually rotate the mass of the larger burrs. Someone please correct me if I'm neglecting other variables (e.g. - need to realign?).

Related: Does anyone know if there will be any future potential of retrofitting the MF for magnetically fixed burrs? I know the EG1 is heading in this direction, though it's unclear to me exactly what is involved in this design (e.g. - low-clearance magnetic bolts)?

In short, I'm very excited about the grinder, and I'm guessing I will be more than satisfied with its standard 75mm, bolt-mounted setup. But, with a lot of new burr innovation happening right now, it would be nice to have a magnetically mounted, maximum diameter burr option in the future.

justneel

#432: Post by justneel »

I would be hesitant to switch out the burrs on this machine. Dennis made all these parts precision milled with the ideal fit for zero retention. Changing the parts, even if they fit, could drastically change that.

Plus, from everything I've been following on here, no one is upset with either monoliths. It's the ultimate last grinder you'll ever buy. So I'm not sure what you're expecting from larger burrs.

chipman

#433: Post by chipman »

justneel wrote:Personally, I just started on golf

Don't say you haven't been warned!

Gaius

#434: Post by Gaius »

I agree, even when i purchased the k30, i was still looking for other grinders, reading specs, figuring if i can fit proM burrs in the k30 etc, once i received my monolith i stoped reading forums and dedicate my time to making great coffee. Im just about to make my 100 shoot on my conical and it makes me smile every time i get to use the grinder, its mind blowing good.

wachuko

#435: Post by wachuko »

coffeekid wrote:I have a Monolith Flat on order for later this summer, and I realize it's premature for me to be thinking about upgrades, but: Does anyone know the largest diameter flat burrs that the Monolith Flat is capable of receiving? I know Denis was originally mounting 80mm flat burrs before switching over to 75mm because of availability issues. Is 80mm the largest the MF can mount? Could the MF accept, say, 98mm EK43 burrs?

I don't know much about burr designs, but I'm guessing that the compatibility limitations would be [1] maximum diameter of the grinding chamber, [2] mounting bolt circle diameter (BCD) and number for physical installation, and [3] power of the motor to actually rotate the mass of the larger burrs. Someone please correct me if I'm neglecting other variables (e.g. - need to realign?).

Related: Does anyone know if there will be any future potential of retrofitting the MF for magnetically fixed burrs? I know the EG1 is heading in this direction, though it's unclear to me exactly what is involved in this design (e.g. - low-clearance magnetic bolts)?

In short, I'm very excited about the grinder, and I'm guessing I will be more than satisfied with its standard 75mm, bolt-mounted setup. But, with a lot of new burr innovation happening right now, it would be nice to have a magnetically mounted, maximum diameter burr option in the future.
Why not ask Denis? :?:
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

ds

#436: Post by ds »

coffeekid wrote:That said, theoretically and otherwise I remain somewhat convicted about the benefits of unimodal particle distribution, and I am interested in whatever design modifications might improve unimodality. Given the overall quality of Denis' machines, it strikes me as beneficial to have a list of compatible burrs that could be used with his machines. So, my original question still stands, and I would appreciate anyone who might have specific insights.
I don't know how much more unimodal would you really want it than it currently is. I suspect that more unimodal would not be better for espresso...

As far as I know the burrs are pretty much precision fit, so unless you find burrs of exact same dimensions as current burrs they will not fit... Also, as far as I know improvement in grind quality due to magnetic burr setup has not been proven.

coffeekid

#437: Post by coffeekid »

wachuko wrote:Why not ask Denis? :?:
Yeah, fair enough. I've already pestered him about a few technical questions, so I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. Maybe I'll wait a little and ask him.
ds wrote:I don't know how much more unimodal would you really want it than it currently is. I suspect that more unimodal would not be better for espresso...

As far as I know the burrs are pretty much precision fit, so unless you find burrs of exact same dimensions as current burrs they will not fit... Also, as far as I know improvement in grind quality due to magnetic burr setup has not been proven.
You're right that this is disagreement about unimodality with espresso. What I'm thinking about here is the use of the EK43 for espresso, which people generally agree is excellent and has even narrower particle distribution. Given the fact that people also contend that EK43 espresso (sometimes called ekkspresso) has different characteristics than is common, your point is well taken.

Regarding the precision fit, I'm honestly not so sure here. I know that Denis switched from 80mm to 75mm burrs relatively soon before his first or second batch, and I assume that he didn't radically redesign the entire rest of the machine for this adjustment. I could be wrong, but that would seem extreme.

HB
Admin

#438: Post by HB »

Some posts have been edited to remove the back and forth bickering and off-topic issues. Since this thread has meandered for dozens of pages beyond the opening post, I am closing it to further replies. If you have a new question/discussion topic about the KafaTek Monolith, please start a new thread. Thanks.
Dan Kehn