Kafatek Monolith - Motor Swap Possible?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Suvian

#1: Post by Suvian »

I'm moving from Canada to Australia. Voltage is 240V in Aus and it is 50hz instead of 60hz. Before I post for sale, has anyone ever done a motor swap on a Kafatek?

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

have you contacted Denis?

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

If it's a flat, I think you might have to purchase a new speed controller, at least that what the data sheet I have on the motor/controller shows. I think it's a $200 or $300 part. Other than that you'll need to replace the socket with the 220V version so it meets code. If it's a conical, I've no clue.

I don't remember the motor wattage, but the controller p/n will look something like: BMU5120A-??? and you need the same one but with a "C" so BMU5120C-???.

Ira

truemagellen

#4: Post by truemagellen »

as much as I'd say go through swapping speed controllers / motors etc....your only talking about 150-200 watts continuous with 400w peak for short periods of time. A converter will do just fine in this scenario.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate »

Agree, buy a step down converter.

Suvian (original poster)

#6: Post by Suvian (original poster) »

So the difference in frequency won't impact the motor significantly? won't the motor speed drop?

truemagellen

#7: Post by truemagellen replying to Suvian »

The monolith conical is AC motor and it could drop to around 100rpm which is no big deal, just a bit slower maybe even better grind. I ran the 83mm conical hg1 on a wug2 motor and liked 64rpm the best.

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

Look on the motor for the part number and then look on the https://www.orientalmotor.com/ web site to see the data sheet for that motor. It might run slower which shouldn't be a problem for the grinder, but that will tell you if it can take 220 and if it can take 50hz.

That's how I found out about the motor and controller in my flat.

Ira

JettLag
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JettLag »

ira wrote:If it's a flat, I think you might have to purchase a new speed controller, at least that what the data sheet I have on the motor/controller shows. I think it's a $200 or $300 part. Other than that you'll need to replace the socket with the 220V version so it meets code. If it's a conical, I've no clue.

I don't remember the motor wattage, but the controller p/n will look something like: BMU5120A-??? and you need the same one but with a "C" so BMU5120C-???.

Ira
Ira is correct. I did this on my Max and the answer is to swap the controller. It's a DC motor, so it's unaffected by AC frequency or AC voltage. So all you have to do is swap the controller for a 240V version. No change to the motor is needed.

For the Max you need:
240V Motor driver
BMUD200-C
https://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/ ... /bmud200-c
It's $210 direct from Oriental Motor.

If you have a Flat or Conical, I'd suggest pulling the cover off the base and getting the model number off the controller... then checking that on the Oriental Motor website for the 240V version of the same controller.

On your current model, check the programming on the controller to see how Denis has it setup. When you get to Australia and have the new controller installed, mirror the settings on the new controller and you're good to go.

It will take you 5 minutes to swap the controller and another 5 to program.

My recommendation is to stay away from step-up convertors, etc. Denis has built these grinders using industrial motors and controllers so they CAN be swapped out if they fail or for a voltage change like you're interested in... take advantage of his engineering.

JettLag
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JettLag »

truemagellen wrote:The monolith conical is AC motor and it could drop to around 100rpm which is no big deal, just a bit slower maybe even better grind. I ran the 83mm conical hg1 on a wug2 motor and liked 64rpm the best.
This is not correct. All Kafatek grinders use DC motors. Not AC.