Kafatek Monolith Conical has gone through a major change... - Page 16

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#151: Post by JohnB. »

What are you guys using for baskets? Using either the HQ 14 ridged or ridgeless I haven't found the prep fussy. Quite often I'll pull shots with no wdt using medium roast blends without any noticeable channeling.
LMWDP 267

Ben Z.

#152: Post by Ben Z. »

The 17g that came with my micra

atao
Supporter ♡

#153: Post by atao »

i've used both VST and IMS Professional but i was getting a bit lower extraction and a bit more tart taste with IMS so i moved back to VST. Yes the IMS was easier to work with.

PrincePolo82

#154: Post by PrincePolo82 »

Default dose is 20g in vst 20g pulling 1.0 to 1.2x ristrettos, upsizing to 22 or even 25 if the beans respond well. This is with P64 Ssp HU.

Part of sticking to ristretto is to improve body for milk drinks. I'm hoping the MC6 helps with that without being forced to pull smaller ratios because some Coffees don't respond well as others. Mostly medium roast for me

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#155: Post by JohnB. replying to PrincePolo82 »

I'm using 16g doses in the EPNW HQ baskets yielding 28-30g on average. Using medium roast blends I'm getting nice creamy shots. Considering that you can buy both HQ14 baskets for $9 + sh they are certainly worth trying out if you like medium roasts. An 18g-19g dose would be the most I'd put in one but you don't need a lot of coffee to get shots with good body/mouthfeel.
LMWDP 267

atao
Supporter ♡

#156: Post by atao »

Hi John,

Just tried this experiment.

Coffee = B&W The Natural (I'm calling this a medium roast)

(a) 16g in 14g EPNW HQ basket 32 out in about 30s, grinding around 17.4
(b) 16g in VST-18 grind adjusted finer to 16.6 33 out in 27s

Both pours are roughly similar in terms of visual quality. Fairly uniform but maybe a spritzer near the end.

(a) was quite a bit sour. Extraction was close to 14.5%. (b) was sweet and tart both. Extraction around 16%.

So for this coffee, at 2:1 ratios, i'm favoring VST baskets. I could certainly run shots longer, but anyways, this is one datapoint.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#157: Post by JohnB. »

Never had it but the flavor description for the Natural is chocolate and berries so it sounds like neither shot hit it. Sour is usually a temperature issue. Spend some time and dial in the HQ at different shot temps. Are you tasting the shots straight or in milk?
LMWDP 267

atao
Supporter ♡

#158: Post by atao »

I just tried this at 16->32 to serve as a comparison between two baskets because you mentioned the EPNW-HQ basket and 16g, so i was trying to see how the HQ basket would fare against my normal VST basket. I think the shots i pulled were just under-extracted not under-temperature. I tend to normally pull the shots a bit longer and they come out pretty close to berry/chocolate. I taste these straight but often also make a cap.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#159: Post by JohnB. »

Then you probably need to dial in the grind a little better for the hq basket. Takes more then one shot. I have 4-5 VST baskets which spend most of their time in a drawer. Every once in a while I get curious and compare them to my HQ baskets, then they go back in the draw. I've never found them to be the best baskets for medium/full city or darker roasts. Which HQ basket are you using?
LMWDP 267

atao
Supporter ♡

#160: Post by atao »

I'm using vst-18 and this EPNW-HQ14 https://www.espressoparts.com/products ... asket-14gr

I use 70/30 water and I pre infuse for 6sec. I grind to portafilter and then WDT. The shots pull pretty evenly. I pulled a lot of shots this AM and found that the HQ basket consistently extracts 1-3% less than the VST for similar params of shots. With the MC6 I was hovering around 15% extraction with HQ and 17.5% with VST. Out of curiosity I pulled shots with my 80mm lab sweet burrs and the extractions jumped to 16% and 19.5% respectively.

I'd be really curious John if you might be interested to grab a bag of this coffee or really any other coffee, could even coordinate on getting the same batch (like what folks did in the Tim Wendelboe subscription thread). Doing this with the same grinder and baskets would be very interesting and educational since clearly there's something that you're seeing that I am not, or else there's some other significant difference like the coffee

If there is a better world with the HQ baskets, if want to benefit from it. But from the 25 or so shots I've pulled in the context of this thread for this coffee, HQ is consistently leading to sour shots for me and VST less so.