Kafatek Monolith Conical - August 2017 version - Owners Thread - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
wachuko

#71: Post by wachuko »

RyanP wrote:I guess I'm confused as to why you aren't RDT'ing. Seems like a simple solution.
Ryan, I really do not want to use water... I will push through the static issues for now. Seems to be going away little by little...

I plan to readjust the PF fork tonight to bring the funnel closer to the chute.

And need to search for a modification someone made, can't remember who, where they installed something in the fork channels to make the PF fitment better. May cut a piece of the silicone sheet (if it is not too thick) to test.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Balthazar_B

#72: Post by Balthazar_B »

wachuko wrote: And need to search for a modification someone made, can't remember who, where they installed something in the fork channels to make the PF fitment better. May cut a piece of the silicone sheet (if it is not too thick) to test.
Perhaps you should think about something that won't bind the portafilter as silicone will; the latter will be asking for trouble. Maybe glue-backed pieces of felt or fabric will work better overall? Or very thin strips of aluminum? This is where a good caliper gauge will come in handy.
- John

LMWDP # 577

ira
Team HB

#73: Post by ira »

If it was me, I'd use Delrin(acetal) or maybe filled teflon, not metal or rubber. Or if I really needed it to feel perfect, pull out the forks, drill and tap a small hole and insert a nylon tipped set screw.

https://www.rcfastener.com/nylon-tip-se ... 287.html#1

or maybe one with a spring loaded ball:

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section11/gn605/

That way you can adjust the fit as needed.

Ira

wachuko

#74: Post by wachuko »

Balthazar_B wrote:Perhaps you should think about something that won't bind the portafilter as silicone will; the latter will be asking for trouble. Maybe glue-backed pieces of felt or fabric will work better overall? Or very thin strips of aluminum? This is where a good caliper gauge will come in handy.
Agreed... just a strip of teflon sheet, or just plastic. just a filler to make the PF slide without binding, and avoid any wiggle gap when it is inserted.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#75: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

Had just finished the Gran Miscela Carmo that Denis included. About 2.5lb through the Conical thus far. Contrary to my expectation, the grind setting didn't move one bit with the Gran Miscela Carmo after one week. But that also shows how stable the grind setting was.

I've been drink 2-3x of my usual espresso quota since receiving the Monolith (4-6 shots in one morning, daily :oops: I can't imagine the consequences of withdrawal if I go cold turkey suddenly), just because it's so good and the Monolith is so easy/fun to use. I also notice the static has calmed down a bit, one spray is enough to get rid of 80-90% static(whereas one spray didn't do much just a few days ago).

marlodmb

#76: Post by marlodmb »

samuellaw178 wrote:Had just finished the Gran Miscela Carmo that Denis included. About 2.5lb through the Conical thus far. Contrary to my expectation, the grind setting didn't move one bit with the Gran Miscela Carmo after one week. But that also shows how stable the grind setting was.....
I received mine Thursday and just made a drink today for the first time. Mine was set at 8.5 and after 4.45lbs of beans ran through Thursday I had to set it to 6 for a proper shot. I should have ran a shot just to see how it was at 8.5 to see if there was a difference.

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#77: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) replying to marlodmb »

Congrats! Is that with VST 18g basket? I was using 18g VST basket and am quite surprise the factory setting was perfect on my setup. I tried tweaking it initially but went back to 9 which was the original setting it came with.

marlodmb

#78: Post by marlodmb replying to samuellaw178 »

Standard double basket. So I figured I wouldn't have to make such a adjustment as the VST usually needs a finer grind. But what I found is my shots seem a lot more watery if I get the same time and dose than i get with my Sette 270. I also find it hard to stir the grounds using the distribution tool than my previous tool. Static isn't really much of a problem I haven't used any water using the caffe lusso or the kimbo superior.

wachuko

#79: Post by wachuko »

Adjusted the forks. All is well and no more grounds going out. Only using the funnel provided by Dennis (well, and I am also using the OE funnel over it. If only because I ended up ordering it anyway. :) )

Wachuko - LMWDP #654