Kafatek Monolith Conical - August 2017 version - Owners Thread - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Capitol

#21: Post by Capitol »

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the noise levels of the Monolith Conical (or Flat) side by side with a Compak K10?

Just curious if it's noticeably quieter. Thanks!

wachuko

#22: Post by wachuko »

jammin wrote:Try drilling a similar size hole in the wood cap and let us know if the results are still similar.
Yeah, right... :roll:

:D
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

samuellaw178
Team HB

#23: Post by samuellaw178 »

Capitol wrote:Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the noise levels of the Monolith Conical (or Flat) side by side with a Compak K10?

Here's a side-by-side report from
The Monolith brothers came for a playdate with my K10WBC and my Elektra.
3) Noise. I had seen many posts on how quiet these were so I thought it would be fun to pull out a sound level meter to see if they really were that quiet. With no beans in them the meter didn't go low enough to pick up the volume. Both were at tops in the low 50 db's which is where the meter cuts off - much quieter than our conversation, which the meter did pick up. In contrast, my K10 which I never thought of as a crazy loud grinder is in the low 70's (ie at least 4 times as loud, but it sounded like the difference was far more than that). Similar but slightly louder results held with beans in the grinders - the Monoliths with beans still was substantially quieter than the Compak empty. Of course, the K10 got even louder adding beans and louder still using the doser. Any of you with small children will relate that I don't make coffee when the kids are asleep, but with either of the Monoliths it would be no problem.
I did own a K10PB at one point. The Monolith Conical is noticeably quieter to almost all grinders on the market (probably except one). My coffee area is just outside the bedroom so it matters a lot to me. For the quietest grinder, the Eureka Atom takes the trophy but unfortunately it is no single doser.

RyanJE

#24: Post by RyanJE »

I had a K10 and my young children would scold me for being too noisy while grinding beans if they were watching TV.

I told my wife I had to get the monolith for our kids. It's significantly quieter during grinding and now the whole family is happy. Or so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

mivanitsky
Supporter ❤

#25: Post by mivanitsky »

You all know that the Monolith Flat is considerably quieter than the Monolith Conical, right? The Conical is quiet of course, but if silence is your priority...

RyanJE

#26: Post by RyanJE » replying to mivanitsky »

Come on! Now I have to get the flat for the sake of my family.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

mivanitsky
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by mivanitsky »

Clearly. Your marriage and the safety and sanity of your children depend on it!

There are good reasons to have both, but noise is a bit of a stretch. It's nice that good small grinders are getting quieter. My previous quietest grinder was a RoburE.

CwD

#28: Post by CwD »

RyanJE wrote:Come on! Now I have to get the flat for the sake of my family.
I admire your sacrifice O7

Balthazar_B

#29: Post by Balthazar_B »

jammin wrote:than....?
Pretty much anything other than fabric or acoustic ceiling tiles.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Balthazar_B

#30: Post by Balthazar_B »

Capitol wrote:Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the noise levels of the Monolith Conical (or Flat) side by side with a Compak K10?

Compared with my Caedo E37S -- which generates about a third of the noise my Mazzer Mini put out -- my new Monolith Conical is uncannily quiet. The motor itself is nearly silent: you could run it in a library and nobody would look up. Only the crackling of beans generates any noise.

I understand the earlier note about the risk of leaving it on because it's so quiet.
- John

LMWDP # 577