KafaTek Monolith Conical and Lyn Weber EG-1 have arrived - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Catherwood wrote:You also have the opportunity to compare both with the V M3. Have a modified V M3 and would appreciate any comparison insights.

Lack of any additional prep (no RDT or WDT) is what I like about the V M3. Taste in the cup is better than any grinder I had previously used but curious if I might like a Monolith as much or more
I think your question is the right way to think about these grinders. They all make excellent espresso, something that is easy to test by taste. But, they are different to work with. Monolith conical, for my prep routine, is the perfect design. The grounds fall out dead center of my basket, tap to level the bed, tamp and pull my shots. I don't WDT.
LMWDP #371

Catherwood

#42: Post by Catherwood »

I think your question is the right way to think about these grinders. They all make excellent espresso, something that is easy to test by taste. But, they are different to work with. Monolith conical, for my prep routine, is the perfect design. The grounds fall out dead center of my basket, tap to level the bed, tamp and pull my shots. I don't WDT.
You grasped my point perfectly. IMO, taste variables show the personality of the grinder and I can tweak this by coffee type or grind. How it fills the basket is the character of the grinder and I can only change that by physical modifications that I can't or won't do. Having to fiddle with the coffee once it's in the basket is a step backwards for me now so having a grinder that best distributes into the basket is the best grinder for me.
May never reach the proficiency of a professional barista but using good tools somewhat compensates. It's challenging enough learning/practicing/perfecting techniques to make consistent espresso.

Advertisement
UFGators

#43: Post by UFGators »

Catherwood wrote:You also have the opportunity to compare both with the V M3. Have a modified V M3 and would appreciate any comparison insights.

Lack of any additional prep (no RDT or WDT) is what I like about the V M3. Taste in the cup is better than any grinder I had previously used but curious if I might like a Monolith as much or more
There is no comparison between modified m3 and flat monolith. The m3 is good but the hybrid burr set "blends" flavors together. The flat monolith is more edgy, angular and sweeter which I like! I had a modified m3 and while it was a great grinder with zero retention I was never wowed by the flavor and ended up using my conpak e10 red speed at the time. I sold the Compak and now have the monolith brother for the best of both worlds! I use no RDT but use WDT and my shots are out of this world. Almost no retention with either.

Catherwood

#44: Post by Catherwood »

Good to know
The m3 is good but the hybrid burr set "blends" flavors together.
interesting take on the output of the grinder

HBchris

#45: Post by HBchris »

just wanted to check in if there were any updates to comparing the monolith conical and EG-1.

Body/mouthfeel, clarity/flavor, retention with RDT, Retention without RDT (assuming clear exit shoot on monolith, and use the clicker on eg1), grind time for standard dose(18gram), shot to shot consistency. Which is more sensitive to prep technique, Any more consistently and form center stream in bottomless portafilter, either have more a tendency to have a non ideal looking pour on bottomless portafilter.

redbone

#46: Post by redbone »

mfogliet wrote:I have a Monolith Conical in Hamilton. If only there was someone halfway between us willing to host.
Sounds to me like you gents need a meeting place between both cities. Let's say Mississauga West. :mrgreen:
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

redbone

#47: Post by redbone »

Does anyone know if the any of the KafaTek Monolith grinder or LW EG-1 grinder meet any approvals or even if they are able to meet approvals since they do not have the "hopper on function only" setting. Be it UL. CSA, ETL etc..
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#48: Post by ira »

I didn't see any stickers on my Monolith. Hard to imagine something that's only made a few at a time going through the trouble. My friend pointed out that the design makes it hard to actually get your fingers into the burr, but not impossible if you have really skinny fingers and try hard enough. Given the EG-1 is positioned as a shop grinder, maybe that one will get certifications.

Ira

DaumierS

#49: Post by DaumierS »

chrisbodnarphoto wrote: I plan on picking up a set of Peak burrs to put on the LW at some point down the road, too, just to see what differences can be detected!
Can you do that? Put the PEAK burrs to the EG-1?

What is the taste difference?