KafaTek Monolith Conical and Lyn Weber EG-1 have arrived - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by FotonDrv »

This Thread, although interesting, is comparing a flat to a conical, and as as far as taste goes the differences were minor. We did notice a wee bit more clarity in the Monolith Flat over the Monolith Conical, but we were using only one type of bean for most of the testing.

Too bad we did not have an EG-1 to throw into the mix :cry:
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

kwantfm (original poster)

#32: Post by kwantfm (original poster) »

mania wrote:The two pics are two different I think to say/see

One is closeup the other is not
Here is a closer view of the KafaTek...
LMWDP #602

Advertisement
mania

#33: Post by mania »

kwantfm wrote:Here is a closer view of the KafaTek...
Nice shot ...clean fluff
Thanks

CoffeeBar

#34: Post by CoffeeBar »

kwantfm wrote:Here is a closer view of the KafaTek...
<image>

Thank you kwantfm for updating us the closer look of the ground coffee ( Very Clean and Fluffy ) Thump up for KafaTek Monolith Conical :D

Macphi

#35: Post by Macphi »

Interesting... With the EG-1, do you notice a difference in static depending on which grind speed you choose?

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

kwantfm wrote:Some photos of portafilters from both grinders immediately after grinding. First the KafaTek Monolith Conical:

<image>

I applied RDT (two sprays of a small atomiser and then shaking the container) to both sets of beans. There is no static cling with the Monolith but, as is plainly visible, there is a lot with the EG-1.

After another week of experience with both grinders, I'm finding that they're both really excellent. It's quite hard to differentiate between the two in terms of quality of flavour and texture. WIth Sidamo Wonberta this morning I got a little more apple-like acidity from the EG-1. Otherwise both shots were wonderful.

Once I've roasted a little more I will start using the Atago for the first time.
After my testing of the EG-1 and the Monolith Conical that difference in the pictures,of the static in the ground baskets, is the most marked visual difference I found in the comparison. Is this a result of flat versus conical?
LMWDP #371

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by samuellaw178 »

Bak Ta Lo wrote:Is this a result of flat versus conical?
Most likely. For the same flow rate, flat will have a finer grind than conical due to the narrower spread of grind distribution. It should be more obvious after the coffee is tamped (anyone mind sharing the pictures of the tamped puck from each? :D ).

Advertisement
CoffeeBar

#38: Post by CoffeeBar »

samuellaw178 wrote: It should be more obvious after the coffee is tamped (anyone mind sharing the pictures of the tamped puck from each? :D ).
+1, I'm very interested in seeing each puck after being tamped. Hopefully can see one soon :P

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

My friend also just got his EG1, so I carried my Monolith over to his house so they could have a play date. They somehow have a cool look standing together. We only had time to compare them for a couple of hours, it would require more time to do a good taste comparison. They are both very good, and I really enjoyed working with both.

Warning:
Grinder pron below. :)

LMWDP #371

Catherwood

#40: Post by Catherwood »

You also have the opportunity to compare both with the V M3. Have a modified V M3 and would appreciate any comparison insights.

Lack of any additional prep (no RDT or WDT) is what I like about the V M3. Taste in the cup is better than any grinder I had previously used but curious if I might like a Monolith as much or more