KafaTek Monolith Concial: Production Run #10 User Experience - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Turbo Ron

#91: Post by Turbo Ron »

I just ordered sea to summit x cup in blue since I could not get the grey. Amazon $10.95 plus tax for Calif. resident.

maximatica

#92: Post by maximatica »

What is the quantity made in the productions batches?

Does anyone know?

Thanks for any info.

M./

danetrainer

#93: Post by danetrainer »

Just bought the Sea to Summit X cup in red at our local REI store for 10.95.

BaristaBob (original poster)

#94: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:Video, yes, please...
Your wish is...

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/323814010 [/vimeo]

Hoping this link works... :shock:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Jake_G
Team HB

#95: Post by Jake_G »

BaristaBob wrote:Your wish is...
Unavailable?

LMWDP #704

HRC-E.B.

#96: Post by HRC-E.B. »

Received my MC3 yesterday. I'm very impressed, despite all the hype and my correspondingly high expectations.

The thing is built like a TANK. It is also beautiful in a crude minimalistic "form definitely follows function" kinda way.

The motor emits a low yet powerful hum that suggests it would be built to power something much larger and heavier than this grinder.

It works almost silently and is so solid and rigid (monolithic?) that the beans emit but a faint rustling sound as they move through, sounding as if they were even lighter than they are. The whole grinding operation is whisper quiet.

First shot at Denis' testing setting resulted in a major gusher the kind of which I had never seen. I would attribute that to the significant differences between the quick pressure build up of my rotary E61 compared to his Slayer and 30-sec low pressure pre-brew, and also possibly to the 2.5 pounds of old coffee I ran through to season the burrs.

I needed my grind to be a whole number lower than the one Denis tested the grinder at with his machine. 2nd shot was close. Third one bang on.

I have not yet tried the MC with any coffee other than the Lusso GMC that Denis has provided with the grinder (same as what he tested it with). While the shot pulls much easier and cleaner than with my previous grinder (a Mazz Mini upgraded to 64mm SJ burrs), the taste is rather similar with GMC, reminding me that this is simply not a blend I enjoy all that much, despite that it fits my preferred bean profile at least on paper. I find the body lacking that syrupy feel I enjoy and the flavor being a little less sweet and a little more acidic than what I prefer. Not objectionable in any way, but not wowing me in any way either. (Makes me wonder if I have ever managed to pull it well, despite the "clean" 30-sec extraction I'm getting with the MC3?)

Looking forward to trying the MC with a bean I normally enjoy more, to get to appreciate the magic in this grinder. For now, the build quality, ease of operation and ability to pull consistent good extractions off of beans that had previously given me a hard time are what impresses me the most!

danetrainer

#97: Post by danetrainer »

danetrainer wrote:Just bought the Sea to Summit X cup in red at our local REI store for 10.95.
Works and fits quite well with Mono Con.

Doesn't fit MAX at all.

def

#98: Post by def »

@ HRC-E.B.

Check the roast date on that CL GMC. When I received my Flat, I think the bag I received was about 7 days old, but when I received my conical, the bag was 3-4 weeks old and I thought it was dead. When GMC goes stale, I don't like it, but when it is fresh I can work a really amazing shot with it. According to CL, they like to pull it less than 1:2. I like 1:2. I think Denis likes it at 18g in, 38-40g out, 200F, 30 seconds. I don't think the yield ratio is critical if this coffee is fresh.

HRC-E.B.

#99: Post by HRC-E.B. »

Got the grinder and coffee yesterday (March 13) and roast date stamped on bag was March 3. Should be close to sweet spot?

def

#100: Post by def replying to HRC-E.B. »

Yes I would say 10 days is in the zone, but it is perhaps unusual that you had a gusher at the same setting that Denis used for test shots. I don't know.

Enjoy your MC3. You described its power and sturdiness well.