KafaTek Monolith Concial: Production Run #10 User Experience - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Team HB

#61: Post by ira »

Chaff is flat and can fit through the gap sideways. the slow speed and free exit path probably means you now seeing what might have been there all the time. It has no detrimental effect so just ignore it.

Ira

jammin

#62: Post by jammin »

@willard: sure, retention is low.

@HRC: Peppersass has a great reply. The 18g VST basket is all I use anymore. I feel the main reason to buy VST baskets are to eliminate variables in a commercial environment. VST guarantees each basket is identical in filtration properties (hole size & count). Other baskets such as the LM precision baskets I hear are nearly identical in architecture/build without the "gaurantee". EPNW has some precision baskets that are quite nice that I've had good luck with in the past.

Advertisement
grog

#63: Post by grog »

The EPNW baskets limit flow much more than VST or IMS baskets, in my experience. It's a useful variable to have across various coffees.

Basically I use VST or IMS with medium roasts and EPNW with lighter roasts.
LMWDP #514

gophish

#64: Post by gophish replying to grog »

This is really interesting because basically the opposite of the approach I take, although with the same concept in mind. I find the IMS and especially the EPNW HQ baskets reduce flavor transparency and acidity in light roasts, so I tend to favor the VST to grind finer and increase extraction. But, by restricting flow, I suppose you're also trying to increase extraction... similar principles, but different results, at least for me.

I liked to use the IMS when I just can't get a coffee to taste good in a VST or when the VST routinely tastes underextracted, which is rare, and the EPNW HQ when using a more traditional/comfort roast to limit overextraction. I find these three baskets follow the same order for demands of grind quality, distribution, and prep/technique, where the VST is the most demanding and the EPNW HQ is the most forgiving.
Versalab

grog

#65: Post by grog »

It's also entirely possible that I'm utilizing the baskets in a sub-optimal manner. Between a new grinder and relatively new-to-me machine, I'm juggling multiple variables. I'll try swapping out my approach tomorrow morning and see what results that gets me. Lately I've been tinkering with updosing and pressure profiling, and liking the ristrettos I'm getting from that.
LMWDP #514

sluflyer06

#66: Post by sluflyer06 »

I got my MonoCon today, amazing piece of machinery. Denis also sent his distribution tool in addition to the advertised accessories.

I played with both VST and IMS baskets, made 20 shots just experimenting and overall as impressed as I expected I would be. This is my first single doser for espresso, dialing in is sooooo easy compared to my K30 which takes 2-3 shots to settle in any grind change which was hard to work with in a home environment.

Curiously, as you can see, my grinder does not have the new flip switch.

HRC-E.B.

#67: Post by HRC-E.B. »

Wow! Can't wait to get mine!

What's epnw?

Advertisement
sluflyer06

#68: Post by sluflyer06 replying to HRC-E.B. »

Epnw is espressoparts.com

BaristaBob (original poster)

#69: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) »

sluflyer06 wrote:I got my MonoCon today, amazing piece of machinery. Denis also sent his distribution tool in addition to the advertised accessories

Curiously, as you can see, my grinder does not have the new flip switch.
<image>
Anthony,

Is the switch the illuminated one?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

sluflyer06

#70: Post by sluflyer06 replying to BaristaBob »

It's not, that would have been awesome.