KafaTek Monolith 68mm conical single-doser

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
shawndo

#1: Post by shawndo »

Piling on to the new grinder trend, the HBer formerly known as "tekomino" and "tek" on CG just finished the first production run of his single-doser.
Official photos just posted:
http://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monolith/
68mm compak conical single doser. I really dig the direct/simple design . After using the Versalab for so long, I had a long list of changes I would make to it if I were ever to get off my butt and make my own and this seems to have just about all of them.

Pricing is $1950 + actual shipping.

**Quick Links**
More photos:

Video:

He had some previous non-production prototypes, one discussed here: Monolith

He mentioned there is also an 80mm compak flat burr on the way, currently being tested.

I have no association with this company other than being in the queue for buying one in the next week or so. (photo from the site)

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

clyq

#2: Post by clyq »

I'm always impressed and slightly envious of people who do and not just want to do. I fall under the latter.

Always great to see new mouthwatering single dosers, but I imagine something like that will cost a bit.

weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

cool! i like it :) i'm assuming it'll be considerably larger with an 80mm flat burr set
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Shife

#4: Post by Shife »

I've been in contact with Denis regarding the R80 flat burr model he's working on. I'm very interested.

ds

#5: Post by ds »

weebit_nutty wrote:cool! i like it :) i'm assuming it'll be considerably larger with an 80mm flat burr set
I know Dennis, he is a friend and I have spent some time with Monolith conical and have played little bit with Monolith flat burr which he is still testing. The 80mm flat burr uses I think R80 burrs, the base size is same as conical its bit wider on top but its about an inch shorter than conical and it does not look the same. Conical uses 68mm conical burrs.

Monolith conical is lovely, quiet grinder, I think about 17 inches tall and it works really well. I will be getting one as well. He tests each grinder and not just that they run and can grind coffee, but he pulls espresso with each and measures extraction yields with VST refractometer to ensure that they actually work well. He then compares that against his reference unit. I'll be posting more about it when I get mine. :D

Shife

#6: Post by Shife »

He's also incredibly open and honest. No BS. No hipster marketing. No mystery. That earns huge points with me.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

No price listed on the website? What is the price range?
LMWDP 267

ds

#8: Post by ds replying to JohnB. »

The conical is $1950 plus whatever shipping ends up being. I will be picking my up :lol:

weebit_nutty

#9: Post by weebit_nutty »

I like no b.s.

marketing is always something I have contention with. If it is as great as you say it is, I'll get it and do a head-to-head with eg1
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Shife

#10: Post by Shife »

Send him an email. He will give you more information that could ever hope for. He is very focused on meeting certain targets he has set in regards to extraction and use. If they don't meet his targets, he doesn't release them.