KafaTek Monolith 68mm conical single-doser - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
shawndo (original poster)

#31: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

malling wrote:That actually looks pretty good - would love one of his grinder as my secondary grinder, although I would prefer flatt burrs.

What did you have to pay for it?
$1950 plus shipping.

I think he said he is about 2-3 months from releasing an 80mm flat version for $2150, but that was before he finished testing it. I don't know if that pricing will hold up.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

idrinkjetfuel

#32: Post by idrinkjetfuel »

Shawn, once you get acquainted and dialed in, can you post a short video of your routine? Would love to hear the purr of the motor and check out the grind consistency to see if WDT is necessary.

Advertisement
Mischa

#33: Post by Mischa »

Just received mine today. Beautifully designed and built, the quietest grinder I have ever used, and my first shot (cap for my wife) was amazing. Will post more reactions and results after a couple of days of use.

Spitz.me

#34: Post by Spitz.me »

This grinder looks and sounds like it is fantastic. This might finally push my k10 out of the kitchen. Looking forward to user experiences!
LMWDP #670

weebit_nutty

#35: Post by weebit_nutty »

Had I known about this grinder, I would have sprung for it over my . And maybe it might have stopped me from putting a down on that . It is beautifully engineered and the aesthetic great too. I really like the small footprint.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Chert

#36: Post by Chert »

weebit_nutty wrote:Had I known about this grinder... It is beautifully engineered and the aesthetic great too. I really like the small footprint.
I too wish to say I'm impressed. I would not have upgraded from Pharos for any large conical motorized I've seen - too impractical and expensive. But at that price and with this design I think it looks like a real winner. Maybe that 80 mm flat will be a serious competitor with the EG-1, especially if adjustment allows drip and some bulk grinding. Time may tell.
LMWDP #198

HoldTheOnions

#37: Post by HoldTheOnions »

It would be good to see it in action if anyone wants to do.

Advertisement
ds

#38: Post by ds »

I've got mine as well!!! I will post pics later. I will be using it with my Cremina. Grinder is very quiet and crunching beans is actually more noisy than grinder itself running empty. I had it dialed in with just one wasted shot, it helps that it gets shipped adjusted already in espresso range. Shots were very good thick, very thick and creamy and sweet. More later as I spend some time with it.

Nik

#39: Post by Nik »

Congratulations to all those that have received their Monoliths!

You have made an extremely wise decision in acquiring a Monolith grinder. I have had the one in the foreground in the picture below for three years. Never a glitch and consistently produced the fluffiest and most even grinds I had ever experienced. One of the most important features to me was quietness! Over the past three years I have come to the conclusion that the home barista doesn't need to grind a 17 grams in 4 seconds. The MonoIith is designed and built by a home barista for a home barista and from the first time you use it you understand. I thought there was no way that the new design Monolith 2 could be one up on mine. Was I in for a shocker. Equally as quiet, perhaps a bit slower with the 100 rpm motor but it's nice to WDT in the basket while it's grinding. The grind is just as glorious. The shaft is so stable you cannot see it turn. Zero to negligible retention. I have been using the Mono 2 for about 9 months now. I smile every time I use it!

I look forward to hearing more about how you use it and I plan to post a video soon demonstrating the process.

Best!
Bob

canuckcoffeeguy

#40: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

This looks like a real winner. A true home barista grinder. How long does it take from ordering to receiving a Monolith?

Can't wait to hear more about the flat burr version.