KafaTek Monolith 68mm conical single-doser - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Fausto

#21: Post by Fausto »

As someone who's only been around here for a year, noticing this for the first time today is quite the awesome surprise. It's like everything I wanted the EG-1 to be! Nothing against the EG-1, I'm sure it'll be great, but it's not exactly a perfect fit for the home. Really looking forward to reading some reviews. Also really excited for the flat burr model. I would love to have a big flat next to my HG-1 to try different coffees with flat vs conical.

Especially interested to hear about the necessity of RDT and WDT. I'm assuming both will still be needed...

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by uscfroadie »

This looks like the grinder people were imagining when the EG-1 was being talked about before any pictures surfaced. Under $2k... I think Dennis will do well selling these. Well done!
Merle

kwantfm

#23: Post by kwantfm »

I'm also looking forward to reviews and am particularly interested in how well and consistently the mechanism for grind adjusment works.
LMWDP #602

shawndo (original poster)

#24: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

Fausto wrote: Especially interested to hear about the necessity of RDT and WDT. I'm assuming both will still be needed...
According to Denis new burrs have more static, but it calms down after some use.
He does package an RDT squeeze bottle and a WDT tool with the grinder. From what he tells me he never uses RDT but always uses WDT.
I'll see in practice if WDT is actually necessary for me.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

#25: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

Just arrived and wanted to throw some photos up. This is with the included RDT and WDT tools.
It's a smidge too tall to keep completely under the cabinets.
You can remove the lid under the cabinets, but I can't fit a testtube in there to pour the beans in. I'll need to slide it out to use it or figure out some kind of scoop/funnel thing to get the beans in there.
It's next to a modified Versalab, which has been increased in height by about one inch.

day

#26: Post by day »

It's interesting how it the body is so reminiscent of the eg-1 but vertical. Obviously I am not suggesting a coy, nothing like that, but they do have a similar feel imo
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

ds

#27: Post by ds replying to day »

Brian, if anything EG-1 reassembles Monolith which in this design was shown to me over year and half ago...

I should be getting mine tomorrow :mrgreen:

bostonbuzz

#28: Post by bostonbuzz »

Beautiful. I'd love to get a look inside the grind chamber/chute to see how the exit design is different than the conventional sweeper. From the outside it is hard to tell - it looks like a conventional grinder design without the case and a modified adjustment system.
LMWDP #353

#29: Post by shawndo (original poster) replying to bostonbuzz »

The grind chamber is accessible by these two screws:

You pull off the whole top assembly, which includes the top burr and the grind adjustment. This means you can open it up while maintaining your settings.
There are short sweepers that push into a magnetically attached chute, which I removed and put it on its side here. I tried to get everything in one photo. The grind routine includes pulling out the chute and knocking out anything retained. There are nooks and crannies that will get filled/packed with coffee, which I will want to brush out every once in a while.
I did brush this out a little bit before taking a photo, so it does retain more coffee than this, but it did look like it is the stay-in-place kind of retention as opposed to the will-be-in-your-next-shot kind of coffee retention.

This just strikes me a simple and elegant.
Still waiting for my caffeine/blood ration to return to normal levels before playing with it anymore.

malling

#30: Post by malling »

That actually looks pretty good - would love one of his grinder as my secondary grinder, although I would prefer flatt burrs.

What did you have to pay for it?

Hight isn't really much of an issue as my cabinets is 20 1/8in