Kafatek MC5 vs Versalab M4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Tony163

#1: Post by Tony163 »

Read a few comparisons of the MC4 vs M4 which generally sounded like a toss up. With the introduction of the Shurikones, wondering if the MC5 is now the clear winner over the Versalab M4? Has anyone had a chance to compare these side by side yet?

BrewPerfection

#2: Post by BrewPerfection »

I am genuinely curious about this question as well. I have a MC5 on the way, but have been looking at Versalab M4 and the Ditting Lab Sweet as well.

steelval3

#3: Post by steelval3 »

I recently received the Shurikones, but have yet to install them on my MC4. I have a Versalab (received it a couple of months ago), and have been enjoying it so much, I haven't made time to install the Shurikones (take that for what it's worth). I love the Versalab, will probably install the Shurikones soon though and can report back here on differences, etc.

Elliot

#4: Post by Elliot »

Adding an anecdote here.
I had a friend over recently that has a Versalab. I have a Monolith MAX w/ his LM burrs and a new MC5. This is FAR from scientific, but we did do a side-by-side of the three and there was a slight preference to the Versalab ahead of the MC5.

Oddly enough, we both found the MAX to be trailing significantly behind the two others.

Now, it needs to be said that the MAX is likely among the best grinders on the market, so not calling it "bad" by any means. I have enjoyed it for several years and just recently added the MC5 to answer the age old question of conical vs. flat on my N of 1. We both enjoyed the increased body and thought it was a little more forward, if that makes sense.

This was the coffee we used, fwiw: https://revelcoffee.com/ethiospro/

Tony163 (original poster)

#5: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

Thanks -- while anecdotal, that's nonetheless very interesting. The hybrid burrs seem to really resonate with alot of folks. I looked at the coffee, would you describe it as light to medium roast?

Elliot

#6: Post by Elliot »

That's fair. Definitely not Nordic light.

Elliot

#7: Post by Elliot »

Big takeaway in my head was a bit of a return to earth.
Yeah, the MAX (and those like it) is probably the pinnacle. BUT... I am NOT an expert by any means. None of us are. So, is something slightly more forgiving going to result in a better overall experience?

Tony163 (original poster)

#8: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

Or perhaps another way to look at is is that something like the Max is the pinnacle for a very narrow band of the overall espresso experience, namely the light to very light roast arena where "clarity", or flavor separation, is valued over all other properties. It may just be that you -- or perhaps most? -- simply do not primarily exist in that band. I know that while very much appreciating light roast cups of exceptional clarity, these are far from my favorite espresso experiences.

Ad-85

#9: Post by Ad-85 »

I've always thought of M4 as a flat grinder with pre breakers (just like MC5). If the SSP flat burrs on the M4 (68mm) could be made for 64mm grinders, then I'm definitely getting them. I don't think the belt driven motor is reliable hence M4 owners find themselves realigning the burrs after X time. I'm with Elliot on his last statement, something slightly more forgiving is going to result in a better overall experience. That's why I recently acquired p64 with multiple burrs. Max is great with expensive lighter roasts but you need a more forgiving grinder as your daily driver and for your comfort espressos. Those large 98mm burrs highlight everything in the coffee wether it's good or bad (let's face it, my local roasters aren't that skilled). I use my MC4/5 9/10 of the time and the Max 1/10 for imported lighter stuff. I wonder if I should sell the Max or get the coarse burrs and keep it for filter coffee?
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Elliot

#10: Post by Elliot replying to Ad-85 »

We're in the exact same place. Considering selling my MAX. I'd probably buy something else in its stead just for funsies. Just no clue what.