Kafatek MC5 vs Versalab M4 - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bunkmil

#11: Post by Bunkmil »

Ad-85 wrote:If the SSP flat burrs on the M4 (68mm) could be made for 64mm grinders, then I'm definitely getting them.
Thing is that the 68mm Versalab don't have pre-breakers since the conical does that job so I am not sure that they would work in a standard flat grinder.

I wish there were more grinders using the DRM burr design.

EricC
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by EricC »

Ad-85 wrote: I don't think the belt driven motor is reliable hence M4 owners find themselves realigning the burrs after X time.
Mmm, I find the above statement to be completely at odds with my observations, however mine is just a single owners experience.

I have had my Versalab M3 (updated as and when they were released to its current V4 version), for 14 plus years, and have never had to realign the burrs.

Ad-85

#13: Post by Ad-85 »

Sorry for making that generalization without using one but it was based on my readings on forums. Enjoy.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

RTOBarista
Supporter ★

#14: Post by RTOBarista »

I have been looking at the Versalab M4 and the Titus Espresso grinder. The Titus is a copy of Versalab M4 with some major upgrades. The Versalab is about is about $4k and Titus is about $7k. I just saw a review on the Hedonne Honne which looks is a copy of the Versalab and is about $1500. Review--https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equipm ... ugust-2022

The Titus looks like a major upgrade to the Versalab-- I just emailed them and there are no plans for an upgrade.

Any comment from the experts?

Elliot

#15: Post by Elliot »

HA! Emailed Versalab yesterday to ask about any upgrades planned.
The Titus is tempting, but even beyond the cash, $7k just seems like a lot, man.

Tony163 (original poster)

#16: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

I have a Titus on order with Frank. They have made upgrades to the Titus over the years but I believe you are correct there are no upgrades under consideration at the moment.

Why did I order a Titus? Primarily bc 1) I think it is an incredibly well built machine, with German tolerances and best possible materials throughout and I appreciate beautiful machinery, 2) it is by far the most beautiful grinder I have ever seen, 3) I have read that it does produce somewhat more consistent results than the VL M4 and 4) I believe it will last "forever".

Are any or all of these reasons sufficient to rationally justify the additional cost of the Titus over the Versalab? Clearly not for most. It was an easy decision for me. Everyone is different.

Same thing applies wrt to the $1500 vs the VL. Personally I doubt any of the "short-term in cup" differences alone justify the more expensive machines even for me... but at least for me in this case its about much more than that...

Plinyyounger

#17: Post by Plinyyounger »

I think we are off track, I'd like to hear from those who have actually compared the two grinders. Id like to add a thanks for those who clarified inaccurate info regarding either grinder.
Family, coffee and fun.

ehayfahey
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by ehayfahey »

Wondering after few months now what is your feedback regarding MC5 vs versalab?

ehayfahey
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by ehayfahey »

steelval3 wrote:I recently received the Shurikones, but have yet to install them on my MC4. I have a Versalab (received it a couple of months ago), and have been enjoying it so much, I haven't made time to install the Shurikones (take that for what it's worth). I love the Versalab, will probably install the Shurikones soon though and can report back here on differences, etc.
So what is your feedback now after few months of use regarding MC5/shurikones vs versalab

RTOBarista
Supporter ★

#20: Post by RTOBarista »

Hi Tony

I thought you had one. I have no ground 1.8 kilos and retentions is minimal. When I got mine it was off with the zero point 3 turns away. Check it first. Also, you really have to tighten the screw or else it will moved during grinding.

I love mine. Silky smooth mouth feels. I just some Klatch Geisha this morning. The citrus really stands out

Ray