Kafatek Max vs. MC5 - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
flyingtoaster

#41: Post by flyingtoaster »

mborkow wrote:I could not agree more. I also don't think the Max 2 is really revolutionary but I can see the FOMO is real.

I suspect the actual upgrade "kit" would have to be more than $1500 since it involves a new motor.
Plus, a new grinder only needs 1-way shipping while a retrofit would need to be shipped to WA and back. Somebody will need to pay for that.

Then there's the issue of tolerance.

From the announcement:
"We have also got some new machines in shop last year and with the new techniques and approaches to making critical parts I think we make now the most precise grinders in the word. I don't think without spending a lot more in time and money one would be able to make anything better. Here are few videos from the tests we do and which show the tolerances to which we make our critical parts.

Lower burr carriers are hard to measure now due to how good they are and I would say they are in 5 microns or less, flat, parallel and square.

I do not recommend people opening up MAX2 for fun and unless really needed since it needs to be put together carefully and clean. Also be very careful when playing with burr touch since due to very tight tolerances there isn't much wiggle room so locking burrs completely is very possible if you are not careful."

The current MAX1 are advertised as having 10 micron tolerances. I'm not saying that's 1950s GM, but will they be compatible with the MAX2 burrs?

Starspawn2318

#42: Post by Starspawn2318 »

I agree. I'm interested to see how much it would be but #1 I would be surprised if a retrofit is offered anytime soon because there are orders to keep up with through September already. #2 the cost would be insane between shipping it back and forth and replacing most of the grinder since most of the parts are different, I would imagine it would easily be $2000 plus dollars #3 The new pre-breaker seems cool and I'm sure there is probably some incremental improvement but I'd be surprised if it were a night and day difference. Denis seems like a pretty straight forward dude and he says its incremental rather than a big jump. So even if it were offered as an option I'd probably just stick with what I've got. But I also understand why people buying these high end top of market grinders would be interested. It makes sense. You are shopping in this bracket because you want and can afford the best. I'm okay with close enough to it haha. If and when there is ever some big big major update I'll probably be all over that.

GurgenPB

#43: Post by GurgenPB »

I currently have the Max SSW and MC4/Shurkones that I got used while waiting for my new MAx and MC5. Glad I didn't sell those May preorders.

We are at the fringe of a fringe with Kafateks. Glad that Denis is pushing the envelope.

In May/June I'll have my older ones for sale.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by mborkow »

Looks like the upgrade kit (if ever made available) will actually, only, run about $1k since you'd reuse your existing burrs (though I wonder how something with a 10 micron tolerance fits into a housing where tolerances are half that) and will be a field install (rather than sending the grinder back and forth).

Starspawn2318

#45: Post by Starspawn2318 »

Better scenario than I expected. Still don't think I'd do it right now.

Iowa_Boy

#46: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I have an MC3 and 2020 Monolith Max.
I use the MC3 about 90% of the time, because it's fast, produces very little static, and works well with the roast levels I use (mostly medium roasts but occasionally med/light or med/dark.
I enjoy the better clarity from the Max, particularly with medium-light roasts, but still have issues with static even with RDT.
Completely understand there is no need to improve my current setup. That said, I am considering upgrading the MC3 to the MC5, though realize the difference would be small. My thought process is that ultimately I could simplify and just use the MC5, selling off the MC3 and Max.
My questions are around static and grind time. Sounds like grind time would be similar to Max, so likely longer than MC3. Is that correct? Not a huge issue for a couple shots a day, but just curious what to expect.
Also, how is the static on it - has anyone that was a previous MC3 user upgraded and how did it compare?

GurgenPB

#47: Post by GurgenPB »

Static is nearly non existent with my MC4/Shurikones. I prefer that workflow to the max SSW by a mile.

The Max, even with its 45 sec long grind times is discouraging to use, requires 2 sprays for RDT, but produces better aroma and clarity. It keeps me coming back.

Iowa_Boy

#48: Post by Iowa_Boy replying to GurgenPB »

Thanks!
This is very helpful. I timed my MC3 today and grind time was about 15 seconds. Looking at a video online of MC5, grind time was about 22 seconds, so very similar. So that really helps. Just have to decide whether to upgrade.

Quester

#49: Post by Quester »

Iowa_Boy wrote:My thought process is that ultimately I could simplify and just use the MC5, selling off the MC3 and Max.
I'm not suggesting it has to be the MAX, but it is nice to have a large flat burr grinder to compliment an MCx grinder, or other conical.

GurgenPB

#50: Post by GurgenPB »

Remember this is SSW burrs which are much Slower than SLM. I'm still trying to understand the true difference between the two burrs, but that's another story.