Kafatek hints about new Conical Model

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sluflyer06

#1: Post by sluflyer06 » Jan 03, 2019, 10:10 am

Denis posted on Instagram a few days ago a picture with "MC3" (the 3 is superscript) and is implying there is possibly a bigger badder conical coming our way.

Surprised nobody posted about this already...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br_FAJjhBPg ... hmdbmxbpvt

cf

#2: Post by cf » Jan 03, 2019, 11:55 am

Very cool! I'm always excited to see what Kafatek comes up with. Still waiting for that Flat MAX preorder though :D
Curious to see what a new Conical would look like. Thanks for sharing!

redbone

#3: Post by redbone » Jan 03, 2019, 4:03 pm

Why is the assumption a conical grinder? If so the next step would be one with larger burrs than the current 68mm something substantial like 83mm. Other thought would be a manual grinder.

Thought about what I'd consider an ultimate grinder for home enthusiasts and came up with something like a singular unit/motor double sided with a flat burr on one side and a conical on the other that turns 180 on a turntable to face user pick. Ok maybe not feasible but a guy can have dreams.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

eltakeiteasy

#4: Post by eltakeiteasy » Jan 03, 2019, 4:13 pm

redbone wrote:Why is the assumption a conical grinder. If so the next step would be one with larger burrs than the current 68mm something substantial like 83mm. Other thought would be a manual grinder.

Thought about what I'd consider an ultimate grinder for home enthusiasts and came up with something like a singular unit/motor double sided with a flat burr on one side and a conical on the other that turns 180 on a turntable to face user pick. Ok maybe not feasible but a guy can have dreams.
Denis said that it was not a conical max on IG as that would have been MCM.

redbone

#5: Post by redbone » Jan 03, 2019, 4:21 pm

What does MCM mean in the grinding world or is that his own designation?
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

ds

#6: Post by ds » replying to redbone » Jan 03, 2019, 4:31 pm

I think its just abbreviation, Monolith Conical Max.

redbone

#7: Post by redbone » replying to ds » Jan 03, 2019, 4:33 pm

Cool and good deduction, thanks.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

mrjag

#8: Post by mrjag » Jan 03, 2019, 4:34 pm

I interpreted his posts on instagram as:
MC3 = a slightly larger version of the existing conical. The fact that it gets a different name probably means there was enough change in the design to warrant it. My guess is that it is a straight through conical design in the same vein as the Sette and a couple others.
MCM = Monolith Conical Max (aka the larger conical equivalent of the Monolith Flat Max)

shawndo
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by shawndo » Jan 03, 2019, 4:35 pm

Its implied that MCM is Monolith Conical Max (unannounced, hypothetical product).

MC3 is implied to be 3rd generation Monolith Conical to the best of my guessing abilities. I don't imagine this would have larger burrs or anything like that.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

sluflyer06

#10: Post by sluflyer06 » Jan 03, 2019, 4:37 pm

redbone wrote:Why is the assumption a conical grinder? If so the next step would be one with larger burrs than the current 68mm something substantial like 83mm. Other thought would be a manual grinder.

Why assume conical? Because this snippet...