Kafatek hints about new Conical Model - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
eltakeiteasy

#31: Post by eltakeiteasy »

HRC-E.B. wrote:Having a conical on order from the most recent batch, I feel a bit deflated, as some part of me was glad that this meant there was no more step ups possible and I had the best of the best. Now it'll only be the entry level best... :?
There will always be a "step up". I was sold on the conical until I tried the flat. So I spent more to get the flat, even then I spent even more on the flat plus SSP burrs. I customarily only drink light roast and the flat brought out more of the flavors I prefer in the cup. I am sure you will be very happy with your new model.
LMWDP #672.

dmw010

#32: Post by dmw010 »

HRC-E.B. wrote:Having a conical on order from the most recent batch, I feel a bit deflated, as some part of me was glad that this meant there was no more step ups possible and I had the best of the best. Now it'll only be the entry level best... :?
I have a first-generation MC, and it still makes me happy every time I use it!

YseanY

#33: Post by YseanY »

Ugh, for a while I thought I would not get the itch to upgrade after getting the conical. But now the MC3 and the Max on the table...

walt_in_hawaii

#34: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

My cat is barely more than a kitten. Sometimes she chases her tail, round and round and its very entertaining to watch her. sometimes, she even catches it, and I wonder what sort of reward structure she's built up, internally, and what she's feeling when she does catch it.
Some humans behave like that, but I can't fault them because I find myself doing the same thing :)
maybe I should teach my cat to drink coffee?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#35: Post by mivanitsky »

If you have a current Monolith Conical with the new locking mechanism, you should not be concerned about a radical change in cup quality with MC3. The burrs are different size, but functionally the same size, and of quite similar design, though the brand is different.

The update of locking mechanism made a bigger difference in the cup, by allowing for better alignment of the burrs. The new burrs are of more consistent manufacturing quality, and the size change was mostly to accommodate some design changes that Denis wanted to make in the burr chamber.

Denis will be informing current preorders for Monolith Conical of the changes which will be coming. I am not yet permitted to spill the details. I assure you all that the workflow and structural improvements are worth the wait.

Balthazar_B

#36: Post by Balthazar_B »

mivanitsky wrote: The update of locking mechanism made a bigger difference in the cup, by allowing for better alignment of the burrs. The new burrs are of more consistent manufacturing quality, and the size change was mostly to accommodate some design changes that Denis wanted to make in the burr chamber.
Interesting to know, but since I have the original build -- which I'm very happy with -- and cannot afford another Monolith, it's pretty much useless knowledge for me.
- John

LMWDP # 577

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#37: Post by mivanitsky »

It made a bigger difference in the cup than the burr change. It was not a big difference overall. No one with the original Conical should feel compelled to "upgrade." The cup difference is slight improvement in ability to get tasty extractions of very light roasts, and the espresso grinding range is substantially enlarged, despite no change in the thread pitch. If you really wanted to upgrade, used Monoliths sell within hours at or close to retail price.

dmw010

#38: Post by dmw010 »

mivanitsky wrote:No one with the original Conical should feel compelled to "upgrade."
:D

I was hoping you would say that!

michael

#39: Post by michael »

YseanY wrote:Ugh, for a while I thought I would not get the itch to upgrade after getting the conical. But now the MC3 and the Max on the table...
if you had a flat you could scratch the itch with SSP burrs 8)