Kafatek hints about new Conical Model - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bluecold

#21: Post by Bluecold »

sluflyer06 wrote: Also, I wasn't aware Compak (K10) 68mm burrs were considered generic, is that the case?
I think that they can be considered a commodity. All big conicals except from fiorenzato and mazzer use 68. There are multiple suppliers as well for the 68mm burrs.

And you can get a 68mm burrset for ~50 euros+shipping. That's a super low price for a rather complex part.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Fluffeepuff

#22: Post by Fluffeepuff »

mivanitsky wrote:Kafatek Monolith Conical 3. The next evolution of Monolith Conical. Burrs are bigger than 68mm by a little. Some workflow optimizations. About the same in the cup as the recent batch of Conical grinders. I've been using one for 3-4 weeks. I will be buying one to cohabit with MAX at my house. The contrast is enjoyable and interesting, and the quality is equivalent. I can pull similar shots on both grinders for the same coffee, and they are generally excellent pulled to the same parameters. Some coffees are preferred on one or another, but most taste great on both, just a bit different.

I have tried about 14 coffees with the MC3 and MAX, all but one of which were very light roasts. One does not have to have a Flat grinder for light roasts. This is the case for the previous batch as well, even with the older burrs. The new burrs are of more precise/consistent/higher quality than the previous 68mm burrset.
Hey Mike - what's the grind range/consistency look like? For example, espresso to french press? Espresso to pour over?

Curious what the new burrs are spitting out :)

sluflyer06 (original poster)

#23: Post by sluflyer06 (original poster) »

Bluecold wrote:I think that they can be considered a commodity. All big conicals except from fiorenzato and mazzer use 68. There are multiple suppliers as well for the 68mm burrs.

And you can get a 68mm burrset for ~50 euros+shipping. That's a super low price for a rather complex part.
Do we know if Denis is indeed using the Compak burrs? They go for $225, is that all for the name vs generic for 50euro?

Coachiain

#24: Post by Coachiain »

mrjag wrote:I interpreted his posts on instagram as:
MC3 = a slightly larger version of the existing conical. The fact that it gets a different name probably means there was enough change in the design to warrant it. My guess is that it is a straight through conical design in the same vein as the Sette and a couple others.
MCM = Monolith Conical Max (aka the larger conical equivalent of the Monolith Flat Max)
Wasnt straight through on the prototype Monolith Conical, the design that was ditched?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#25: Post by mivanitsky »

Joe,

I haven't done anything other than espresso with it yet. Grind appears grossly very fine and well-distributed at espresso grind for a conical. This is of course completely meaningless.

Iain,

No. It is not straight through. The new burrs are bigger than 68mm. A little bigger. The number is very easy to guess if you know the commonly available burr sizes.

mrjag

#26: Post by mrjag »

sluflyer06 wrote:Do we know if Denis is indeed using the Compak burrs? They go for $225, is that all for the name vs generic for 50euro?
Denis stopped using Compak burrs a while ago. If I recall, too many of the burrs he received were not up to par. I don't remember if it was a manufacturing issue or a shipping/handling problem.

DaveB

#27: Post by DaveB »

HRC-E.B. wrote:Having a conical on order from the most recent batch, I feel a bit deflated, as some part of me was glad that this meant there was no more step ups possible and I had the best of the best. Now it'll only be the entry level best... :?
How are we possibly going to sleep at night knowing that we are getting something less than "Max"?
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

sluflyer06 (original poster)

#28: Post by sluflyer06 (original poster) »

mrjag wrote:Denis stopped using Compak burrs a while ago. If I recall, too many of the burrs he received were not up to par. I don't remember if it was a manufacturing issue or a shipping/handling problem.
I only remember him stopping the red speed conicals because of rejection rate and the mythos flats because of rejection rate

HRC-E.B.

#29: Post by HRC-E.B. »

I wrote to Denis and he confirmed that MC3 simply is the latest iteration of the Monolith Conical, which is what will be issued to people who currently have a conical on preorder. He did not provide me with the specifics but indicated that a communication detailing the changes/improvements would follow shortly to waiting customers. So I guess we should know more soon! Can't wait to get mine!!!

Beewee

#30: Post by Beewee »

HRC-E.B. wrote:I wrote to Denis and he confirmed that MC3 simply is the latest iteration of the Monolith Conical, which is what will be issued to people who currently have a conical on preorder.
This makes a lot of sense. I thought it was perculiar that when the latest batch of flats and conicals went up for sale, Denis had updated photos for the lockless flats but not for conical. So the fact that there were unannounced changes to the conical in the works for this current batch meant that Denis knew it was coming and didn't want to bother taking a bunch of photos for a design that would change before the units shipped.