Just how well did you clean your grinder?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#1: Post by RapidCoffee »

Yesterday was one of those days. You know what I'm talking about. The wife was out of town, I had a lot of work to do, but I really didn't want to get started. So I entered Work Avoidance Mode (WAM) with a vengeance. Hmmm... the furnace filter needs changing. Say, so do the water filters. Wow, it's been months since I drained and refilled the hot tub. You get the idea.

The espresso gear was next. First the Vetrano got wiped down and detergent backflushed. Then I took the Mazzer outside for its monthly cleaning. As usual, I ran a couple tablespoons of minute rice (poor man's Grindz) through the burrs, then pulled the upper burr carrier. With brush and leaf blower in hand. I carefully blasted out any vestiges of coffee grounds and rice particles. Or so I thought. On closer examination, dark brown deposits stubbornly adhered to the grinder's nooks and crannies.

Remember, I was in full-fledged WAM at this point. :roll: Out came the dental pick. The first scrape under the lower burrs yielded this:

Sheesh, how much coffee is caked under there? Yuck! A few minutes later my OCD tendencies were satisfied (and I had run out of time for such frivolities).

I now pronounce this grinder... clean.

Probably just my imagination, but the Mazzer really does seem to operate more smoothly and quietly now.
John

TimEggers

#2: Post by TimEggers »

I hear you John! You wouldn't believe what I cleaned out of my Mazzer SJ when it arrived...

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
LMWDP #202