Just bought Eureka Olympus 75E and I'm struggling - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AndresZ

#11: Post by AndresZ »

A good place to start, shoot for 18g in 3 seconds (yes it is that fast!!).

It took me at least 3 pounds to get it within range. So I drank a number of so, so shots :roll:

Depending on the beans, freshness, roast etc., you can adjust coarseness. I adjust coarseness before adjusting time.
I am always surprised that by changing beans you may have to make significant adjustments. Recently I decided to try Italian brands... for Segafredo Intermezzo I had to grind much finer. Then a changed to Caffe Motta Lounge Bar and had to grind a lot coarser... still dialing this one in but I have pulled some shots that I really liked and received compliments on.

wholemilklatte

#12: Post by wholemilklatte »

Agreed - on mine it takes 3 - 3.2 seconds typically (depending on the bean). I don't know if the burr settings are consistent across grinders but mine tends to be around 6 - 6.5 for light roasted espressos.

From your picture it looks like you might be a little too fine - it's worth experimenting with. Mine look a lot like that when i'm just a bit too fine.

I shoot for the "normal" 1:2 extraction @~30s using 18.5g.

I've had my 75e for about a year now and love it. Getting it dialed in is a bit of a chore just because it'll rip through so much coffee so quickly. But once dialed in it stays put - and being able to take it apart to clean the burrs and retain the configuration is huge.

keno

#13: Post by keno »

Grinds from my Olympus 75e after about 200 shots through it.

wholemilklatte

#14: Post by wholemilklatte »

This is a shot this morning from straight out of my grinder. I've had it for about a year and the shot counter is at ~1100.

The grinder is set to 3.00 seconds and @ 6 on the grind adjustment dial. I didn't weigh it but it's been 18.3g +/- a tenth or so.

tglodjo (original poster)

#15: Post by tglodjo (original poster) »

Ah, those baskets look so good. I'm currently set at about 5.5 and timed at 3.25 seconds. It's getting me about 18g consistently. I can tell there are less clumps the more shots I pull, so feeling pretty confident it's just a seasoning issue. Other than the break-in, I'm loving the Eureka. It's clean, consistent, and fast.

wholemilklatte

#16: Post by wholemilklatte »

If your extraction time and taste acceptable?

You could try making the grind a bit more coarse - i bet it changes your clumping.

I found my machine would choke a little bit - or at least get a bit more inconsistent when i got too fine.

In terms of adjusting the grinder - when i'm dialling it in i'll do it in 1/2 mark increments on the dial (which i think is 1/4 of a whole number on the gauge) and then it takes 2-4 shots to see the full effect of the change.

I weigh what i get on the scale - adjusting how much i have manually to get the weight i want. Then after i get the extraction where it tastes good i adjust the timer until i get the right amount in the portafilter.

I change coffees pretty regularly and find i only need to make pretty minor adjustments from time to time between coffees. I also clean the burrs between coffees and i don't need to change anything with regard to other settings. After cleaning it takes 2-3 shots for the volume to even out.

Good luck with it!