JT64/ LR Lufeibao 64mm Grinder - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EvanOz85

#81: Post by EvanOz85 »

Giampiero wrote:Did you got it, what's your first impression?
Got it last Monday. Been messing around with different burr sets and brew methods and will post my full thoughts ASAP.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by buckersss »

Milligan wrote:I'm curious to know how this thing handles RPM under load. The updated power supply says it outputs less than 200W max. My Mazzer Super Jolly is rated up to a 600W draw. These are crude numbers. It would be interesting to hook up a kill-a-watt to an arguably overpowered unit like the SJ and then one to this unit to see the draw difference. Of course there would be varying power factors to take into account but it could give an indication if this unit is underpowered for the burrs. For example, the SJ goes through 16g in roughly 7-8s.
That's interesting about the super jolly. Did you read that somewhere or measure it? If you read it any chance you still know where that information is located? I'm assuming it's the upper limit while under load and grinding hard light roast beans. Thanks.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#83: Post by Milligan replying to buckersss »

It is the rating on the side of the grinder. It is rated at 5amp @120V. That would be the maximum load the device handles so not sustained. I don't have a kill-a-watt to measure sustained. I do know the motor is like a brick inside it!

coffeeOnTheBrain

#84: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Commercial grinders usually have AC motors, the JT64 has a DC motor. You can't compare AC and DC motors specs at all.

Jeff
Team HB

#85: Post by Jeff »

Nameplate power is not a reasonable proxy for motor shaft power. Typically that is only used to determine if a circuit is within capacity or overloaded. It is supposed to be the maximum the device will draw during operation,

Motor shaft power is not torque. Typical AC, DC, and BLDC motors will have different efficiencies and torque vs. speed curves. A gearbox or transmission both changes the torque curve and introduces losses.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#86: Post by buckersss »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:Commercial grinders usually have AC motors, the JT64 has a DC motor. You can't compare AC and DC motors specs at all.
You can't, but you can kinda guess based on typical efficiencies.
Jeff wrote:Nameplate power is not a reasonable proxy for motor shaft power. Typically that is only used to determine if a circuit is within capacity or overloaded. It is supposed to be the maximum the device will draw during operation
Totally agree, but I think there are some manufacturers that don't follow convention, and most seem to base theirs on 50hz not 60.

Noooocoffee4

#87: Post by Noooocoffee4 »

I took the plunge and recently purchased this grinder with the SSP MP. I thought this was gonna be a little risky but a solid upgrade compared to the Eureka crono for espresso and occasion filter . I just wanted to see how everyone's experience is so far! Also I am a little nervous but excited to try and align the burrs when it arrives.

ltanzil

#88: Post by ltanzil »

buckersss wrote:You can't, but you can kinda guess based on typical efficiencies.

Totally agree, but I think there are some manufacturers that don't follow convention, and most seem to base theirs on 50hz not 60.
that is correct since single dose grinder is a short term load it is possible to run the motor at higher wattage. i run DF64 with VFD; at the lowest setting ( 400 rpm) i run the motor at 1000 watt even though the motor is only rated at 250 watt. this is in order to maintain sufficient torque at low rpm to prevent stalling. the motor controller can set how to protect the motor, the SOA curve, Over load curve and low rpm torque boost.

name plate number is just not sufficient information to tell about grinder performance.

LObin

#89: Post by LObin »

EvanOz85 wrote:Got it last Monday. Been messing around with different burr sets and brew methods and will post my full thoughts ASAP.
So Evan... Ready to share your first impressions?

I wanna move away from the DF64 but it seems that anything that is available in the mid price range (+/- $1k) is a lateral move and not a true upgrade, in the cup mainly.

If the Zerno had variable RPM, It'd be the obvious choice. The Kopi Deva wait is too long.
DF83 with SSP is interesting but I feel the 1600rpm would create more fine than I would want.
Key and P64 are above budget.
G64 is an obvious copycat.
That leaves the JT64.
So... Any good? Are the stock springs problematic? Any default or anomalies with yours?
LMWDP #592

pats4eva

#90: Post by pats4eva »

Any other jt64 V2 feedback? I'm still in two minds about it.