JT64/ LR Lufeibao 64mm Grinder - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Zakal

#101: Post by Zakal »

EvanOz85 wrote:Woah now. I'm not at all comparing it to a Monolith. Especially in build quality and potential reliability. The *only* thing I'm saying as that I prefer SSP's cast burrs for pourover vs Kafatek's SLM burrs for many beans. SSP's burrs are designed for pourover, and the SLM burrs are designed for espresso. It's not that surprising. The SLM's have given me the greatest espresso I've ever had in my life.

And I got it from AliExpress.
Fair point. I guess I had already factored in the build quality and potential reliability issues into my decision. Expecting, at best, a tempermental "performer", not something as polished and refined as the Monoloth and its ilk.

Pflunz

#102: Post by Pflunz »

Is somebody still in contact with the manufacturer?
I disassembled my grinder and it seems that the weak spot is the holder for the rotary grinding burr. The motor shaft is quite well alligned, as well as the large black CNC machined part with the bearing, which is placed on top of the motor.
But the disk holder does not fit well on the shaft, additionally it seems to be twisted, since no burr can be placed without clearance.

I would like to rework it on my lathe and probably include an axial bearing, but only if someboedy can tell me where I can buy spare parts. Most sellers on aliexpress only sell the whole grinder. Can somebody tell me if it is possible to buy the burr holder as a spare part?

Advertisement
MarvelousBiorr

#103: Post by MarvelousBiorr »

Okay I have my JT64 in hand. I've installed Lab Sweet V2 SSP burrs in it. I have only made espresso so far on it. Out of the box it was capable of turbo shots. However with one round of shimming on the stationary burr I was able to get an 85% wipe with a 95-100% wipe on the rotatory burr. This was good enough for me to start testing espresso again. I was able to pull Sey filter Ethiopian and Honduran SOs as 40s shots after 6-7 seconds of pre-infusion with my Bosco lever engaged.

The shots were similar to the tasting notes in Lance Hendricks video on the burrs. A very distinct presented acidity and sweetness. Not astringent and quite clear but not as clear or separated as the MP burrs in my P64. I bring all of this up to reference the fact that the alignment seems if nothing else within workable ranges.

Pros: It is very very quiet, similar to the P64.
Retention in the V2 is about .1g or less with bellowing.
It's very compact = 1/2 the size of the Lagom P64.
$700 shipped to my door in US with SSP burrs.
New dial is accurate to larger and smaller burr gap.
Easily capable of filter and spro.

Cons: PSU is like the same size as the grinder.
Grinder is definitely not aligned out of the box (YMMV).
The general construction seems well made but definitely has several imperfections like knicks in the body.
While the dial is accurate to the adjustments it is a little stiff.
It needed additional springs to prevent the bellows from causing the burrs to touch during puffing.
If you aren't paying attention you can stall the grinder from running it too low on the RPM adjustment.

Overall impression: it's a risk to buy this machine with little to no support. If that's not a concern I love this thing. I will update in a few weeks when I can use it more and confirm alignment. However, for its price the benefits it offers, quiet application, and general function is a positive for me. Someone who is unable to get an Orbit, P64 or potentially Zerno (once reviews come) this is an amazing little grinder that is fully capable of all types of grinding.
★ Helpful

EvanOz85

#104: Post by EvanOz85 replying to MarvelousBiorr »

How much shimming did you find it took? I can't understand why I had so much trouble with mine.

MarvelousBiorr

#105: Post by MarvelousBiorr »

Not looking for perfect wipe, I got it to acceptable ranges with 3 spots using 2 pieces of foil and one spot using 3 pieces of foil. That was it. Once again not perfect, also it was likely to take several more attempts to get perfect since the stationary portion of the grinder can move a touch. I am also using a torque screwdriver to ensure I'm not mucking up the tightening of the burrs.

materia

#106: Post by materia »

Sorry for changing the topic. Has anyone tried hooking this up to an oscilloscope or a power socket wattage reader? If I'm going to order it I could probably design a more compact PSU.

Pflunz

#107: Post by Pflunz »

Right now my grinder is disasambled, so I cannot measure it. But I wanted to mention that it might not be enough to use a power socket wattage reader. I could imagine that, under heavy load, the delivered power supply could still reduce the output voltage since it cannot deliver enough power, so it might be neccessary/better to increase the specification for the power supply to prevent stalling ( I don't know if it still occurs with the new power supply).

But I like the idea with the new power adapter. It would be neat to have it mounted under the grinder (protruding, so you can put your vessel on it)

Advertisement
BentSimon

#108: Post by BentSimon »

New JT64 arrived and unpacked - tested and I'm impressed. If it holds up in the long run, it's a steal. But I must try to find a method so that after cleaning I can ensure that I tighten the assembly screws with the same torque each time. Anyone have an idea for that?
Otherwise, I think they keep tweaking the construction. Mine is without springs at the assembly screws - back to V1?
Alignment was only necessary under the lower movable bed. 10xalufolio was enough for approx. 90% which I find acceptable. And I grind for Turkish coffee, with SSP mimic lab sweet burrs.
I still need to season the burrs, so the final quality control will have to wait. but right now, I get the fluffiest coffee ever. With RTD - which is a must - it is quite a remarkable result that the JT64 produces.
Total price, with SSP LS = $785 - Including taxes and transport (SSP purchased in Belgium).
It is more functional than beautiful, but if it lasts in the long run, it is definitely a steal.

Acavia

#109: Post by Acavia »

BentSimon wrote:New JT64 arrived and unpacked - tested and I'm impressed. If it holds up in the long run, it's a steal. But I must try to find a method so that after cleaning I can ensure that I tighten the assembly screws with the same torque each time. Anyone have an idea for that?
Buy a torque setting screwdriver like this: https://www.amazon.com/FIRSTINFO-Adjust ... 57&sr=8-10

You do not need the default one. One up to 30 inch pounds (~4 Newton metters) would be enough. Mine is 0 to 50, and I set 80mm burrs to 25 inch pounds. Also, there are less expensive ones but that is one I have, so I linked it.

BentSimon

#110: Post by BentSimon »

Thx I think I go for this one ..