It's the Grinder, Stupid - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

allon wrote:.the level of effort with the Pharos isn't that much different from single dosing a large electric grinder.
You're kidding I hope. Not to knock the Pharos which I did own briefly but there is no comparison between the two as far as ease of use goes. Buy a K10, set it up for single dosing & see how often you reach for the Pharos.
LMWDP 267

allon

#12: Post by allon »

No, not kidding.
Compared against brushing the throat and doser of a grinder, Spanking the Pharos (wow, that sounds naughty) is nothing. Once you've got it down, it's pretty simple.

I use a scale, and I know beans in = grinds out.
LMWDP #331

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by samuellaw178 replying to allon »

Not for me though. :oops: I still lose a bit of the coffee like .2g due to static-stuck ground in the funnel and outside the funnel. And I don't think I've nailed the art of Pharos spanking, because it's definitely not that simple for me. :P Could you share how you did it?For sure though, brushing the electrical grinder's definitely way easier.It took me just like, what, 2 seconds?

Less than 1 lb through and quite a bit of ground escaped outside the funnel

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by JohnB. »

allon wrote:No, not kidding.
Compared against brushing the throat and doser of a grinder, Spanking the Pharos (wow, that sounds naughty) is nothing. Once you've got it down, it's pretty simple.

I use a scale, and I know beans in = grinds out.
Ok then you're just kidding yourself. Reading the Pharos owner's thread is great entertainment but it certainly doesn't make me want to order another one.
LMWDP 267

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by samuellaw178 replying to JohnB. »

John,
Yes, using a Pharos does require more efforts as compared to a electrical grinder. But hey, it's not to the extend of unbearable. Well, at least I could say it's definitely the best grinder for those who can't afford 1k to get a big conical grinder and don't mind spending that extra 2 minutes for the espresso experience. It's sort of become your ritual once you are used to it, I supposed. For $260, you can't expect it to be a full fledged titan grinder right? Otherwise, I could see everyone selling off their titan conical and run to get their Pharos. It's a grinder that does not compromise performance at all, but maybe requires more thought in the ergonomic department. :oops:

claypriley

#16: Post by claypriley »

#162 Pharos Grinder has landed!!! Picked it up this morning! I am so very impressed with the Pharos.... This piece of artwork is going to end up in the MOMA in NYC in front of all the Alessi designed stuff. I will change threads and got to the user experience.... Letcha know how it goes.....
LMWDP #347

solocrema

#17: Post by solocrema »

When will someone build a home sized version of this:

http://www.mpechicago.com/coffee/grinde ... sso/600_f/

What's its price tag? :roll:
LMWDP #349

claypriley

#18: Post by claypriley »

Here is a picture of the grinder in Taubate, SP Brasil..... at a roastery called Cafe Bambi;
LMWDP #347

Bob_McBob

#19: Post by Bob_McBob »

JohnB. wrote:You're kidding I hope. Not to knock the Pharos which I did own briefly but there is no comparison between the two as far as ease of use goes. Buy a K10, set it up for single dosing & see how often you reach for the Pharos.
I've never used a Pharos, but based on watching Youtube videos, I don't see much of a difference when grinding a shot other than the 30 seconds of manual labour to do the actual grinding. Despite what the K10 single dosing brigade tells everyone, it still requires a substantial amount of bumping and grinding to actually clear out as much as you put in. Seems pretty equivalent to the knocking and shaking with the Pharos to me. For $1200 less, I think a lot of people would put up with any perceived difference in ease of use.
Chris

claypriley

#20: Post by claypriley »

Love, love, love, my Pharos........... don't tell my wife.
LMWDP #347