Issue with Lido 2 grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

Coffeeman123 wrote:Yes, when I pull the handle up and then turn the grinder upside down and spin the handle thats when I get heavy burr rub. Thanks for the input, I think sending the grinder in for inspection and maintenance might just be my best bet.

You'd be best suited to establish contact with them first. If they're in Taiwan versus back in the USA, and whomever can service it (I vaguely recall their daughter manages order fulfillment in the US), but I'm not sure if she does and service/maintenance. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Coffeeman123 (original poster)

#12: Post by Coffeeman123 (original poster) »

@Ira

Im getting burr rub when the grinder is upside down even when I set the adjustment knob to the coarsest setting possible.

@jgood

Others have also said that their service is terrible. Thats expected given that they dont have a dedicated customer service staff; having just doug and/or barb respond to potentially many, many emails, esp while they happen to travel alot. It sucks, and I dont know how I can even return the grinder to them if they wont even respond to their email.

I totally forgot to add that even with this burr rub problem, after trying to reassemble and realign the grinder, my grinds have become way more consistent, and im getting an OK cup of coffee. Nothing of what I what describe as good, even at various grind settings. There is still a fair amount of inconsistency, and the burr rub problem is still there. I really do think there may be a manufacturing defect with my grinder, and I suppose I have no other choice but to sell it for cheap at offer up or something :(

#13: Post by Coffeeman123 (original poster) »

TomC wrote: You'd be best suited to establish contact with them first. If they're in Taiwan versus back in the USA, and whomever can service it (I vaguely recall their daughter manages order fulfillment in the US), but I'm not sure if she does and service/maintenance. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Will do, thanks!

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC »

I'd be curious to see what the burrs look like, in a case like this. If you ever disassemble it again, please snap a few good detailed shots.

Good luck.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Eiern

#15: Post by Eiern »

The inner rub is not fixed by screws, only resting on top of those little knobs. If you don't apply loctite or similar adhesive I think the inner burr will fall and touch the outer burr when you flip the grinder upside down.

Burr rely on pressure from grinding beans to stay in place.

I like to lock my Lido 2 at it's finest setting when travelling to prevent dust from building up underneath the inner burr and it's seat because of this.

So I'm not sure I'd flip it upside down like this as a test for anything. What I do is don't tighten screws until I have a smooth turn, and can kind of tighten a little and adjust finer until burr rub, see if it's possible to get even finer when it's not tightened and lock it there. If I remember correctly (don't use it a lot anymore)

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Brewzologist »

I have a Lido ET that is working fine for espresso. But when turned upside down, the gap between the burrs closes and they will rub if I turn the handle. I've read critiques from others who feel there should be a spring to prevent this, but it doesn't bother me since I only use it right side up! :)

Is this behavior of the Lido's just 'normal' and not reflective of the OP's problem of grind quality with his Lido 2?

#17: Post by Coffeeman123 (original poster) »

TomC wrote:I'd be curious to see what the burrs look like, in a case like this. If you ever disassemble it again, please snap a few good detailed shots.

Good luck.

I will update this thread soon with photos, and possibly a video as well.

And thanks!

#18: Post by Coffeeman123 (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:I have a Lido ET that is working fine for espresso. But when turned upside down, the gap between the burrs closes and they will rub if I turn the handle. I've read critiques from others who feel there should be a spring to prevent this, but it doesn't bother me since I only use it right side up! :)

Is this behavior of the Lido's just 'normal' and not reflective of the OP's problem of grind quality with his Lido 2?

Interesting.. so its not only me with this issue. I should add that I took apart the grinder several times, experimenting with putting the outer burr in its opposite orientation, but the problem persists. My last reassembly and alignment seems to have significantly improved the grind quality. Im getting OK cups of coffee now, but mcdonalds still > my coffee *sobs internally*

#19: Post by Coffeeman123 (original poster) »

Eiern wrote:The inner rub is not fixed by screws, only resting on top of those little knobs. If you don't apply loctite or similar adhesive I think the inner burr will fall and touch the outer burr when you flip the grinder upside down.

Burr rely on pressure from grinding beans to stay in place.

I like to lock my Lido 2 at it's finest setting when travelling to prevent dust from building up underneath the inner burr and it's seat because of this.

So I'm not sure I'd flip it upside down like this as a test for anything. What I do is don't tighten screws until I have a smooth turn, and can kind of tighten a little and adjust finer until burr rub, see if it's possible to get even finer when it's not tightened and lock it there. If I remember correctly (don't use it a lot anymore)

I appreciate your input! Unfortunately, the burr rub problem occurs while the 4 screws are loose, and when the adjustment ring is at any setting, even when its fully removed.

jpender

#20: Post by jpender »

You cannot delete posts in this forum.