Is the Niche Duo actually legit?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Redixit

#1: Post by Redixit »

Hey everyone. Hope you're doing well. I have been very surprised by how low the coverage is for the Niche Duo. I know the market is saturated now and everything but it still is very weird, especially with a brand like Niche. The only constructive criticism I've heard from it was from Lance and we know how he feels about Niche grinders. I have yet to see a proponent of the grinder or anyone justifying its price and market place. As someone who is considering getting the Zero, I thought getting the Duo would be better as it's more up-to-date.

If anyone here owns a Duo, can you tell us how it is to own? How do tasting notes display themselves with the grinder? From what I have heard it seems like it is in the mid-way between classical "conical burr taste" and "flat burr taste" if we are to go with the misconception about the taste difference between the two types. Would you recommend this grinder for someone who is looking for a more traditional style of espresso but with a bit of clarity in there as well, or should I go with something else? Curious about how you feel about the coffee it produces if you own one. Thanks in advance!

brudnic2

#2: Post by brudnic2 »

I have one and it seems fine to me. I don't have enough experience to be more specific.

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

You can try the 152 posts in the Niche Duo User Experience Topic
Jim Schulman

Redixit (original poster)

#4: Post by Redixit (original poster) »

Oh I didn't know that existed my bad. I'm new here :)

malling

#5: Post by malling »

Redixit wrote:Hey everyone. Hope you're doing well. I have been very surprised by how low the coverage is for the Niche Duo. I know the market is saturated now and everything but it still is very weird, especially with a brand like Niche. The only constructive criticism I've heard from it was from Lance and we know how he feels about Niche grinders. I have yet to see a proponent of the grinder or anyone justifying its price and market place. As someone who is considering getting the Zero, I thought getting the Duo would be better as it's more up-to-date.

If anyone here owns a Duo, can you tell us how it is to own? How do tasting notes display themselves with the grinder? From what I have heard it seems like it is in the mid-way between classical "conical burr taste" and "flat burr taste" if we are to go with the misconception about the taste difference between the two types. Would you recommend this grinder for someone who is looking for a more traditional style of espresso but with a bit of clarity in there as well, or should I go with something else? Curious about how you feel about the coffee it produces if you own one. Thanks in advance!

There really isn't much to add that hasn't been written elsewhere.

It's a fine grinder that are easy to use and it takes your standard 83mm burrs, whether it's worth the 400ish investment is a debate for another day.

Taste is down your alley. If you like blended, thicker mouthfeel, traditional chocolatey style shots it fit nicely. It's a burr for medium to dark roast, would not bother doing anything lighter then that on it as it doesn't really do a great job at that.

My main issue is a few things, I find the lid a bit of a pita, cheap and rattling the beans fracturing has already scratched it up nicely. I personally don't like the rocker style switches but it's a personal preference. There is a tendency for grinds to get stuck underneath the lower carrier around the sweeper arm, this change the sound of the grinder while I haven't seen any noticeable effect besides that it's indeed noticeably also personal it strike me as a poor design as the piece isn't balanced. There loads of popcorning, where pieces tend to go under the lid and end up on the countertop again caused by an odd design of the plastic part. Bellows is necessary to keep retention down to about 0.1g, RDT doesn't really show any significant effect on the matter where I live. The grinder can occasionally move using a very light roast and start rattling, the good thing I never once accounted a stall and there been very light stuff through it. Mine wasn't properly zeroed when I received it and alignment wasn't great, I seen worse but I certainly also seen better.

With the df83v out is it worth the money well can't say for sure but this is at an RPM the other apparently stall at, so views might vary. That said I likely gone with that today had it been available at the time as I generally prefer that orientations of the burrs. But my Niche dos have more WAF and I can cold start with the lightest of stuff near zero point and it never stall.

Cuprajake

#6: Post by Cuprajake »

I have the zero and the duo

It depends on the coffee you drink and if you see your tastes changing

If you like dark roast just get the zero

If you like medium, medium dark or lower then you will benefit from the duos flats imo.

I thinks the biggest issue with the duo, and this is the best way I can describe it

It's like an iPhone upgrade. You know your getting a better model but it just feels the same.

And I think that's part of it, if the grinder doesn't have variable rpm, fan dangles add-ons then it just can't be good can it? In reality it works well. It does popcorn,

But just enjoy

Jonk

#7: Post by Jonk »

The thing is that Niche Zero is still kind of unique (although there's seemingly worthwhile competition now with things like Lagom Mini and the Femobooks - A4 looks interesting as it has a burr with a similar, perhaps a bit better overall profile. Keep in mind that grind speed will be a lot slower for espresso.)

The Duo has a lot more competition with a plethora of 64mm grinders as well as DF83/DF83V. It doesn't seem to stand out quite as much. It is not clear cut that you'll like it more than the Zero, for that matter.

On the other hand, just because there's not much hype or discussion about a grinder doesn't mean it's not a good option. It's like the Timemore 064/078 that were extremely hyped.. I've got both and enjoy using them, without a whole lot more to add :wink:

malling

#8: Post by malling »

We are well in the personal preferences here

Hoffmann disliked the knocker of sculpture, Lance liked it, hoffmann like the workflow of Niche, lance just seem to dislike everything about it.

No matter if you choose the DF83, DF83V, Sculpture 078s and Niche Duo that are all roughly in same price category no one is ever going to agree which is the better grinder all have their advantages and weaknesses there no perfect especially not in this price range, so making up what you can live with and not might be a good place to start, for example do you see yourself accepting bellows, do you see yourself messing with RPM, would you like to use a rotational knocker, and the rest of the workflow.

Heck even the DF64 g2 and DF64v should not be disregarded as you get most of the others but at a more affordable price

The stock burr are on all in the traditional range with some being more brighter and other more focused on body again we are in personal preference here, but I doubt you dislike any of them imho.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

The Niche Zero was so unique when it was released that it got a lot of hype. I think deservedly. There wasn't an affordable grinder with smooth single-dose operation.

Then a lot of hype about 64 mm flats, both burr sets and grinders. They had advantages for some styles and again were a lot less expensive than the titans of a few years ago.

I think you're seeing the realizations that (a) flat-burr grinders aren't the only game in town, and (b) there is no "Niche [Zero] Killer" or they're all Niche Killers or (c) people are burnt out on hype and are returning to a somewhat less Pollyanna view of every new grinder out there.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by jwCrema »

Jeff wrote: I think you're seeing the realizations that (a) flat-burr grinders aren't the only game in town, and (b) there is no "Niche [Zero] Killer" or they're all Niche Killers or (c) people are burnt out on hype and are returning to a somewhat less Pollyanna view of every new grinder out there.
Spot on. I've done this bunny trail Niche Zero -> Niche Duo -> DF83. The Duo v DF83? I agree with Malling's thicker mouthfeel comment regarding 83mm burrs and both deliver that. And I know I like 83mm better than a conical burr.

I plan on buying a Mazzer Philos when it is released because it is there. Upgraditis is a sickness.