Is it worth upgrading from Ceado e37s to Lagom P64? My thoughts on the Ceado e37s - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fred1968

#21: Post by fred1968 »

Hi Dixie

Thanks for the review.. enjoyed reading it.
Would you say the P64 is as good as the C40 for filter coffee (V60) ?
I also have a C40 and want an electric grinder as good or better.
I'm looking @ the CEADO E5SD single dose but after reading your reviews , it might be worthwhile to save for a P64.
Which burrs are you using with the P64 ? is the standard burrs good enough for pour over as I dont plan to do espresso >

Thanks
Fred

Jonk

#22: Post by Jonk »

Seems pointless to opt for a P64 and then use the standard burrs for filter. I'd rather get a cheaper grinder if money's an issue and put SSP burrs in it. There's a new alternative SSP Lab Sweet 64mm that might be interesting as well (Lagom will release their own version soon enough)

Advertisement
_Ryan_

#23: Post by _Ryan_ replying to Jonk »

To echo this, a Fellow Ode with SSP brew or multi-purpose burrs would be sufficient for filter grinding- the same burrs used in the P64 but in a cheaper, filter-orientated package.

kpmd2000

#24: Post by kpmd2000 »

I'm a few weeks into my lagom p64 with MP v2 burrs from my ceado e37s and I can tell you, I am incredibly pleased with my upgrade.

First, the workflow. It is so much nicer to have a true single dose grinder. I measure 18g, RDT, add beans to the grinder and place pf in the holder with the funnel and I get a nice CLUMP-LESS mound of fluffy grounds. Also, I get all the dose in the pf as there truly is no retention. Minimal brushing to clean up stray grounds getting better as I season.

Second, the taste. I've been pulling Amavida Espresso mandarino and finally can taste the promised sweetness after only getting bitter undertones along with ever-present channeling (I also was using ssp HU red burrs on the ceado which did improve things from the stock set).

Third, the MP burrs are great as now I can use my 'espresso' grinder to grind beans for an afternoon v60.No purging and ridiculously easy to dial in.

Lastly, the lagom looks great. Especially compared to the soviet era look of the ceado. Aesthetics are part of the experience and this fits the bill.

whatsamonad

#25: Post by whatsamonad »

Kind of crazy to me how much better the P64 is than the E73SD (the single dose version) considering the Lagom is $1,500 and the Ceado is $2,400.

I also evaluated the Ceado as a single dose grinder and came to the conclusion that I have no idea why it exists or why someone would buy it other than the fact that it's available unlike every other SD grinder including the Lagom.

Cedo

#26: Post by Cedo »

Not saying one is better than the other but the 2 are in the same price bracket at
least for US customers. P64 is $1750, ceado e37s is 1700, and is a lot cheaper when ordering from canada, around 1350 for e37s and 1850 for e37sd.

LindoPhotography

#27: Post by LindoPhotography replying to Cedo »

You're biased because of your name :D JK

Advertisement
LindoPhotography

#28: Post by LindoPhotography »

I can't recall if that was you or someone else, but I may have commented on your post asking the same question as well there.

Sounds like you'd definitely like the lower retention and single dosing / workflow of the P64, it is a really nice grinder to use! Motor is super quiet, it's not messy, not much retention and adjustment dial is nice.

I have an Atom 75, Monolith Flat with 75mm burrs as well, the burr design / geometry gives it a little different rendering, but I don't feel I'm missing out with 64mm burrs. Larger burrs may tame the acidity or bitterness a tiny bit maybe. If you're into light roasts any of the 64mm SSP burr options will give you better flavour clarity than the ATOM 75's burrs. I compared the Weber Key, DF64 with declumper mod and SSP cast burrs, vs Atom 75, and they were all very similar and nice. A little less clarity / more chocolate notes on a fruity light roast on the Atom though.

I like the new SSP sweet lab / cast burrs if you want something with nice body and clarity, but if you want ultimate clarity the SSP unimodal /multipurpose are best (I have that in my P64). Either should work well for Coarser brew methods as well.

RPM adjustment is a nice bonus feature. Lower RPM usually gives you less body and higher clarity (with SSPs especially unimodal burrs you're already getting very high clarity low body, so even at higher RPM it's pretty good, sometimes with those specific burrs I find it's harder to pull shots due to it being TOO unimodal maybe). For darker roasts or milk drinks I'll sometimes go higher RPM, for a light roasted coffee where you want to get the interesting fruit notes, lower RPM is better. For coarser brew methods I think you want to minimize fines so using lower RPM is probably best.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by buckersss »

LindoPhotography wrote: Sounds like you'd definitely like the lower retention and single dosing / workflow of the P64, it is a really nice grinder to use! Motor is super quiet, it's not messy, not much retention and adjustment dial is nice.

I have an Atom 75, Monolith Flat with 75mm burrs as well, the burr design / geometry gives it a little different rendering, but I don't feel I'm missing out with 64mm burrs. Larger burrs may tame the acidity or bitterness a tiny bit maybe. If you're into light roasts any of the 64mm SSP burr options will give you better flavour clarity than the ATOM 75's burrs. I compared the Weber Key, DF64 with declumper mod and SSP cast burrs, vs Atom 75, and they were all very similar and nice. A little less clarity / more chocolate notes on a fruity light roast on the Atom though.

I like the new SSP sweet lab / cast burrs if you want something with nice body and clarity, but if you want ultimate clarity the SSP unimodal /multipurpose are best (I have that in my P64). Either should work well for Coarser brew methods as well.
I enjoyed your post. Curious what other thoughts you may have between the p64 and atom 75. I take it you still like them, and the df64, enough to keep all? Do you notice a big step up when using the monolith?
Ty!

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#30: Post by Milligan »

dixi08 wrote: - Ceado 83mm standard burss:
It is a bit like "fruitiness, where are you?" ^^ . Basically, you take everything good from a fruity natural process light roasted coffee and mellow out all of that. The shot was still good tasting, but when compared to the 2 others, it is simply night and day. A lot less clarity, the "good" acidity from this coffee was simply removed and no long-lasting taste. Pretty flat shots at the end of the day.
Good review, but I wanted to add that you said you had only used it around a week or two with the standard burrs to make those comparisons. There was no mention of proper seasoning of the burrs before comparing them to other burrs. Caedo doesn't preseason the burrs so this is needed to get an accurate representation of the burr set.