Is it worth upgrading from Ceado e37s to Lagom P64? My thoughts on the Ceado e37s - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcdawson

#11: Post by pcdawson »

I have an E37SD which I've had for two years and have used twice daily. I must admit it took me 4 months to make friends with this grinder. Those huge burrs took me a while to break in so initially I struggled with consistency. Now? I love it to bits. Amazing consistency, and those burrs really bring out subtle tasting notes in the coffees I roast and buy. I've said this in other threads - it doesn't get a lot of love on this forum. One forum member even said it reminded him of that guy in the movie "Beetlejuice" with the shrunken head......sigh. I'd recommend it regardless of movie references.

dixi08
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by dixi08 »

@pcdawson I also have a Ceado e37s, but I swapped the original burrs for the SSP High Uniformity burrs only a week after receiving it. I found the original burrs remove all the fruitiness of light roast, like a lot, I almost return it because of that, but decided to add SSP burrs instead.

I'm switching to the P64 with Unimodal espresso burrs, I will receive it on Friday. I'll let you know what I think about it compared to the Ceado. It is not gonna be an apple to apple comparison though, because of the different burrs set.

Jonk

#13: Post by Jonk »

pcdawson wrote:One forum member even said it reminded him of that guy in the movie "Beetlejuice" with the shrunken head......sigh.
Now I can't un-see that :lol:

cybernation

#14: Post by cybernation »

dixi08 wrote:@pcdawson I also have a Ceado e37s, but I swapped the original burrs for the SSP High Uniformity burrs only a week after receiving it. I found the original burrs remove all the fruitiness of light roast, like a lot, I almost return it because of that, but decided to add SSP burrs instead.

I'm switching to the P64 with Unimodal espresso burrs, I will receive it on Friday. I'll let you know what I think about it compared to the Ceado. It is not gonna be an apple to apple comparison though, because of the different burrs set.
Please do follow up on this. Really interested in your comparison

pcdawson

#15: Post by pcdawson »

Looking forward to the comparison!

Maggiekw (original poster)

#16: Post by Maggiekw (original poster) »

dixi08 wrote:@pcdawson I also have a Ceado e37s, but I swapped the original burrs for the SSP High Uniformity burrs only a week after receiving it. I found the original burrs remove all the fruitiness of light roast, like a lot, I almost return it because of that, but decided to add SSP burrs instead.

So what do you think? How big was the difference in workflow and taste, mouthfeel etc?

dixi08
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by dixi08 »

Hi guys, sorry about the delay!
Now that I had a few weeks to play with the grinder, trying medium to light roast with it, here are my thoughts!

Workflow
I was a bit worried at first to be honest with you because of the extra work single dosing would bring, but for those who really enjoy the process of making coffee, that is not an issue and it is actually pleasing in my case.
The dial is big enough to be able to adjust the grind setting precisely, it has some resistance, which help with the accuracy, and it is really smooth.
The tools that are coming with it are well made, WDT tool, magnetic funnel, dosing cup that fit 58mm portafilter, RDT tool. Only the "weighting" cup feels odd, like James Hoffman said, it looks like a ketchup serving cup that is used in some restaurants.
Never had any issue with the portafilter moving while grinding (I'm using LM portafilter, bottomless and classic).
The grind time is obviously slower than the e37s with his 83mm burrs, but is 10 seconds more a deal breaker for you when doing your morning latte? Only you will have the answer.
I did not make proper testing for everything related to variable RPM yet. I just follow Option-On recommendations for now.
One major problem I found with this grinder is that you are not able to reset your 0 point to the center of your grinder, unlike the Ceado and his metal ring. There is ways to improve that, but that's gonna be for another thread.
I also found that while changing from espresso to filter grind size, grinding 1 or 2 grams of coffee helped to keep the right extraction time. (Not needed if you stay in the same grind range)

Taste and mouthfeel
Like I said, it's not gonna be an apple to apple comparaison here cause I had the HU on the Ceado and I have the MP espresso in the P64. I also had the chance to test the original burrs of the Ceado since I've sold it with the originals and not the SSP.
I did the comparaison with a light roasted coffee from Columbia, natural process, that had tasting notes like blueberries and tropical fruits with a ration of 1:2.6 in around 23-25 seconds.

- Ceado 83mm standard burss:
It is a bit like "fruitiness, where are you?" ^^ . Basically, you take everything good from a fruity natural process light roasted coffee and mellow out all of that. The shot was still good tasting, but when compared to the 2 others, it is simply night and day. A lot less clarity, the "good" acidity from this coffee was simply removed and no long-lasting taste. Pretty flat shots at the end of the day.

- Ceado 83mm SSP HU burrs:
Clarity was much better here, but they definitely it was not handling acidity as well as the MP. I was definitely able to taste blueberries very distinctly.

- Lagom 64mm SSP MP espresso:
Clarity and enjoyable acidity are the 2 things that shocked me. It's a gap between those and the HU, a canyon VS the standard!

About mouthfeel, the standard and HU are hands down the best of the 3 for this coffee. The MP, like you have probably already read about, are more suitable for longer ratio and "mordern espresso", like EK43 espresso shot. You will definitely loose some texture with those burrs.
So for those who like medium to dark roast but also like fruity and light roasted coffee, the HU is the way to go in my humble opinion.
If you are into medium/light roast, MP is ahead.

For those who do filter coffee, I have the Commandante C40, and the P64 with MP gives me better sweetness, slightly better clarity, and even more enjoyable acidity. The brew I achieve with this grinder and burrs are simple the smoothest I ever had at home. It seems to be really forgiving.
But again, I compare conical and flat burrs here, not apple to apple, and the Ceado is just not made for filter coffee in my experience so not worth talking about its results.

So those are my thoughts, they are certainly not scientific, but I did my best to explain how I feel about the P64 compared to the Ceado :) .

Maggiekw (original poster)

#18: Post by Maggiekw (original poster) »

Thank you for great review dixi. Can I ask if you need to RDT before using the p64?

Entreri

#19: Post by Entreri »

I would highly recommend RDT in Norway, as our indoor climate is fairly dry due to requirements to insulation and active ventilation. RDT will reduce retention to more or less zero + ensure that you dont get coffee particles stuck to the exit chute / catch cup.

By this: https://tenshundredsthousands.com/produ ... osing-tray

It is perfect for RDT'ing and dosing into the grinder + looks great.

dixi08
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by dixi08 »

Yes I have to in order to reduce static.