Is it normal for the Baratza Sette 270 to make a mess?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
yalag

#1: Post by yalag »

I just brought home the 270wi. Did my first test grind with my portafilter slotted into the holder. To my surprise, the grounds were sprayed out everywhere to my counter and ground I felt like something broke. Is this normal? If no how do I fix it did I just installed it incorrectly?
If yes, who designed this thing??

I have no other reference this is my first grinder, my previous one was the breville barista built in one and it just grinds into the portafilter with no spray all over the place.

Smo

#2: Post by Smo »

Everything is fine. This is electrostatics. It is different for different coffee beans.

https://clivecoffee.com/blogs/learn/red ... ur-grinder

Frankc1450

#3: Post by Frankc1450 »

Did the link to the static article help?
I'm thinking about a Sette but I don't want a messy machine or have to stir water into the beans.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

I've never understood the occasional posts about the Sette grinders being messy. I've had a 7-270Wi for years and a 7-270W before it, and have ever found it to be particularly messy, unless of course I attempt to way overfill a basket. Not only that, but I roast dozens of different coffees to many roast levels. We live in the South Okanagan valley, where it's really dry. If static was going to be a factor, it would certainly happen here. The foregoing notwithstanding, what little does spill over the edges, isn't a problem. I put a square of cloth over the base of the grinder and catch any stray grinds on it.

jasiano

#5: Post by jasiano replying to Nunas »

I've only had mine a few months but haven't had any issues either, living in Western Australia where it's notoriously dry.
Espresso grinding is clean and minimal retention (just give it a tap to dislodge any in the chute). If it does get bad (hasn't for me) then a drop of water on in the hopper with the beans (I single dose) and it's fine.
-Jason

Down Under

Frankc1450

#6: Post by Frankc1450 »

Thanks very much. I trust users here more than the equipment reviews on the sellers websites.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

I've been thinking about your problem. As I say, I've never experienced this issue, and reports of it here on H-B are only sporadic. It makes me wonder if perhaps a brand-new grinder has some sort of initial static charge that dissipates after a few uses. Another thing I was wondering about is whether the plastic cone that guides the coffee might be missing from your grinder. If you look under the burr holder, you should see it just barely protruding from the lower face of the holder. That's about all I can think of.

slybarman

#8: Post by slybarman »

I use mostly darker roasts and do get some static build up as you can see on the porta hook and bottom of the burr assembly. Most the mess is caught with a small cup under the porta filter, but right now I am dosing 14g into a 14g basket and I do get some spill over at times.

robmack

#9: Post by robmack »

I also have a Sette 270wi that tends to be a bit messy when grinding directly into the portafilter. I did find a 3D printed funnel on Etsy that is placed on the portafilter. It works quite well in containing the mess. I switched to using the container that came with the machine and transferring from the container to the portafilter equipped with a funnel. I switched because I use a WDT tool and find my present dosing technique lends itself better to that.
- Robert

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Nunas »

slybarman wrote:I use mostly darker roasts and do get some static build up as you can see on the porta hook and bottom of the burr assembly. Most the mess is caught with a small cup under the porta filter, but right now I am dosing 14g into a 14g basket and I do get some spill over at times.
Steve, that's about what mine looks like too. The OP says his goes all over the counter and the ground! Definitely not normal for a Sette. A microfiber square laid on the base before I grind is my solution. But that would not work if coffee was being spewed everywhere :wink: