Is frequently moving a grinder hard on it?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

I have reached maximum counter space capacity for coffee gears, says the wife. But I really want to get a second grinder to accompany my Niche Zero. Have been eyeing the new Vario+ models, which would give me a big improvement in my drip brew coffee as well as the optional for unimodal espresso.

If I get it, I'd need to store it in the cabinet and bring it in/out (including plugging/unplugging it) each use - not daily, but likely a handful of days per week. Concern is, is this physically hard on the grinder to be moving it around so much, or plugging/unplugging all the time?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Pressino »

It shouldn't be a problem unless you drop it. Repeated unplugging and plugging might be hard on the cord and its plug, so you should be carefull doing that...hold the plug itself, not its cord when disconnecting it.

iploya

#3: Post by iploya »

dsc106 wrote:I have reached maximum counter space capacity for coffee gears, says the wife.
You just have to override your wife on this one. The grinders are now part of the family.

Try putting a small table in the next room for "overflow" equipment. I have 2 grinders and a MoccaMaster in the dining room adjoining the kitchen. It actually looks pretty nice there. One day we might remodel, but until then...

jcran17

#4: Post by jcran17 »

dsc106 wrote:I have reached maximum counter space capacity for coffee gears, says the wife. But I really want to get a second grinder to accompany my Niche Zero. Have been eyeing the new Vario+ models, which would give me a big improvement in my drip brew coffee as well as the optional for unimodal espresso.

If I get it, I'd need to store it in the cabinet and bring it in/out (including plugging/unplugging it) each use - not daily, but likely a handful of days per week. Concern is, is this physically hard on the grinder to be moving it around so much, or plugging/unplugging all the time?
Sell the niche and buy a monolith...problem solved for about the same amount of counter space!!

Moving around is a non-issue. I take my Forte on extended car-based travel trips and that would seemingly be more "dangerous" than above and below the counter.

karamba

#5: Post by karamba »

You can hang it from the ceiling on a rope.