Is bigger the better - titan flat burrs - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
shotwell

#11: Post by shotwell »

The max users that are complaining about it are largely applying too much preinfusion for their setup and should switch to slower baskets if they insist on using the wrong profile for their beans and setup. Im reading reports from a few that stuck with it that they have figured this out either through elaborate pick prep or a simple basket swap.

It's a relatively high flow rate grinder and people need to accept that it's very slightly different than what they've used before. It's silly to complain when the taste is really good and the extractions are very high with little effort. It does exactly what it was designed to do.

RobindG

#12: Post by RobindG »

jevenator wrote:And no one really will be complaining about the Ultra when it comes out (I hope). Main difference? The type of 98mm burrs used. MAX uses LU burrs which are not entirely dedicated espresso burrs. Another thing is that people try to run long PI profiles with their MAX with LU burrs which is another no go for that burr set. That's why you see so many complaints. You can't take traditional methods and apply it to everything.

I feel like when you get to well aligned titan grinders, it's not a conversation of "better" but preference in flavor profile.
Rytopa, ultra-grinder owner wrote:
"The grinder is working great. I got both burr carriers, 98MM and 80MM, just swapped the burrs from Peak to SSP High U. Starting to miss what the peak burrs had to offer as compared to High U, especially for filter coffee."

I believe/think that bigger is a trend and is overrated. It extracts a different espresso, especially with SSP Hu burrs, because they grind unimodal. Like Chris wrote, the prep should be different, basket, dose, extraction time, ratio...
I believe most of us prefer a very good traditional espresso, whether it's from a light, medium or dark roasted coffee. I had Hu burrs in my EK43S (with Titus carrier) for 4 months. I am now starting with LU burrs. And indeed, like Hansung wrote, they give a more traditional espresso. And I like it.

jevenator

#13: Post by jevenator »

RobindG wrote:Rytopa, ultra-grinder owner wrote:
"The grinder is working great. I got both burr carriers, 98MM and 80MM, just swapped the burrs from Peak to SSP High U. Starting to miss what the peak burrs had to offer as compared to High U, especially for filter coffee."

I believe/think that bigger is a trend and is overrated. It extracts a different espresso, especially with SSP Hu burrs, because they grind unimodal. Like Chris wrote, the prep should be different, basket, dose, extraction time, ratio...
I believe most of us prefer a very good traditional espresso, whether it's from a light, medium or dark roasted coffee. I had Hu burrs in my EK43S (with Titus carrier) for 4 months. I am now starting with LU burrs. And indeed, like Hansung wrote, they give a more traditional espresso. And I like it.
Kind of lost you at the end where you said LU burrs give a more traditional espresso. That shouldn't be the case. That's what MAX owners have which is far from traditional as already discussed.

These are the 3 main SSP burrs offered and their description.
98 mm- High version. (Single Dosing espresso, Clean cup, intensity)

98 mm - Low version (Espresso, brewing, bulk grinding, more complexity, Lower grinding temperature)

98 mm - Ultra Low (Mainly Cupping,brewing * espresso is not available with it)
There is also Cast pre2015 EK burrs.

HU was not made for brewing. It won't be good for it so that's why Rytopa might prefer the peak burrs...

The RPM on the Ultra can give a completely different experience as well as already reported by a few people and recently someone on the Decent Diaspora went a little bit more in depth comparing their wonderfully aligned Ek43s and Ultra that both have SSP HU burrs. Both gave different results in cup. You can follow him on Instagram as he mentioned he might post a review soon.

I personally don't have the $$ to switch between burr carriers and different burrs and went with the espresso focused option for my Ultra (blind HU burrs).

I don't think it's overrated either. It's just different. It all comes down to whatever you like at the end of the day because everyone is extract very different coffee, different profiles, different water, different taste buds and experiences in the past that shape their subjective understanding of what is good for them or not in the current state of their life.
LMWDP #643

RobindG

#14: Post by RobindG »

jevenator wrote:Kind of lost you at the end where you said LU burrs give a more traditional espresso. That shouldn't be the case. That's what MAX owners have which is far from traditional as already discussed.
This is what Hansung, Mr SSP himself, wrote me:
.it is up to coffee bean people use.

actually HIGH version makes very high uniformity on its grinding result due to its aggressive geometry.
it is mainly designed for light roasted coffee bean and single dosing espresso.

Low version is designed for high volume espresso & brewing coffee.

some people prefer Low version rather than High version for their espresso for this reason.

if customers want espresso which is similar traditional one, I would recommend Low version than High version.
Probably for the same reason the Max test team preferred the LU above the HU burrs, which were mounted in first instance on the prototypes.

So as you wrote, with LU burrs the Max delivers espresso that is already far from traditional espresso. With HU it is probably even further.

Eiern

#15: Post by Eiern »

I was already using light roasts, Wendelboe Espresso, for EK-spro with my EK stock burrs and Titus carrier, but now when I am using High Uniformity even those taste a little bitter and flat to me, and the lighter Wendelboe filter roast was better for espresso now. I couldn't have done that before, a bright Kenya like this would become lemon juice. I also don't pull traditional pressure, but slow enough preinfusion and 6 bar max pressure getting over 2g/sec flow to get good clean shots. I understand anybody who use medium or dark roasts, or classic style espressos that don't like the High Uniformity burrs. Some of the shots I did first I didn't like either.

Like mentioned, people have different taste, use different beans, water, machines, different grinders have different grinding speeds and are fed beans differntly etc.

Eklektik

#16: Post by Eklektik »

This is a more general question but at this point I'm getting confused so I'll just ask this - if you prefer medium-light to medium-dark roast, 1:2 espresso should you go with HU or LU? Seems like there isn't one answer tho

RobindG

#17: Post by RobindG »

I think you'll be fine with LU or 80mm.