Is the 1Zpresso K-Plus magnetic container better than that of the J-Max?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

I own a JX Pro and am overall happy with it, but I like some of the features of the K-Plus and am considering an upgrade. The thing that worries me is the magnetic container. I tried the J-Max and didn't like this feature, mostly because it almost fell off twice while in use (I have large hands and can't avoid touching it while grinding). Is the K-Plus magnetic container better designed to avoid this?

Also, are there any other possible downgrades going from a JX Pro to a K-Plus? I'm using my grinder for both espresso and pour-over.

Thanks!

Jonk

#2: Post by Jonk »

Perhaps save some money then and go for the K-Pro instead? It has got a screw on container. (I had no issues with the J-Max magnetic one when I tried it, but I have slim hands)

I think it has to do with what kind of espresso you want. For more traditional I'd reckon a JX or JE would be a better fit.

I quite like using light filter roasts for espresso and plan on buying a Comandante when the new slim version is released. Adjustment system aside C40 seems to have a slight edge over 1zpresso K according to the reports I've read.

boren (original poster)

#3: Post by boren (original poster) »

I can get the K-Plus for slightly less than the K-Pro, so price is not an issue. I prefer the K-Plus for its blind shaker bottom, looks and carrying case.

I prefer medium roasts for both espresso and pour over. Are you saying the quality of the coffee may be lower than with the JX Pro?

Jonk

#4: Post by Jonk »

boren wrote:I prefer medium roasts for both espresso and pour over. Are you saying the quality of the coffee may be lower than with the JX Pro?
That is a possibility, yes. Or perhaps you'll prefer the K-Plus for pour over and JX-Pro for espresso. It's all about your taste buds so the only way to know for sure is to try it out for some time.

pdx-climber

#5: Post by pdx-climber »

My my 2cents... I got the JX-Pro, K-Max and K-Plus to try. I'm going to keep the K-Max.

I worry about the mag catch on the K-Plus. Magnets seems stronger than the K-Max but the Kmax has a little lip that extends down into the catch cup that prevents it from falling to the ground. But a simple 'twist' and its released.

Ive been using the JX more (since I have it dialed for my espresso machine) and I find
1) the screw comes a little loose thus rattles sometimes while grinding - not an 'issue' but an annoyance'
2) beans do always catch in the adj ring on top on the JX
3) I dont love the blind shaker. I can just see it making the occasional mess... the fit into my portafilter isn't that great anyway so I'd rather just dump and do a WTD with a funnel and be done when I do espresso. And for aeropress (my main travel method) the K-Max fits perfect. I think it will fit will with the PicoPresso as well.

I might miss the fine adj of the JX when doing espresso on the pico but overall I think the K-Max wins for me. The K-plus is a little more elegant but overall less ideal workflow for me.

I think given the price/etc the K-max wins over the Kinu (which is sold out everywhere anyway) and the new C40 is very interesting but hard to get and more money and I have small hands so I think it will be more difficult.

boren (original poster)

#6: Post by boren (original poster) »

@pdx-climber - thanks for the helpful and relevant information!

Between the JX Pro and the K Plus, can you point to significant differences in the quality of the coffee (espresso & pour-over)? And do you consider the blind shaker to be useful at all?

LindoPhotography

#7: Post by LindoPhotography »

I've only had one shot on a friends JX Pro, and I have a k-plus, so I have experience with that one, but from what I've heard and what I can tell the K series burrs are designed to be a bit more consistent and uni-modal which I don't think is totally possible with a conical burr grinder but it it's all relative. So for brew coffee that's generally what you want for better clarity, less bitterness and nicer sweeter coffee generally. For espresso though less fines results in a different taste profile most people may not be used to, as well as less body. It's still a conical burr though.
The JX Pro (or J Max) may be better for espresso and the k series better for pour over / aeropress / drip etc.

Another factor, with the K plus vs Jmax or JX Pro, is the adjustment step size.
On the K series (K plus and K pro at least, not sure about K MAX) the adjustment jumps are a bit large (18microns I think?), it works fine for me for espresso, but if you want to dial it in and fine tune a bit more you may have only ONE click that works well and you'll have to add or remove coffee to tweak the shot timing.
JX Pro has like 8 micron adjustments and I think J Max is like 5micron! (K max may also have that?)

For the Magnetic cup on the K Plus, It's not really a feature I wanted or cared about since screwing /unscrewing my old hand grinder was pretty easy and quick! but it's not bad. I did knock it off once, basically walking around while grinding it must have knocked on my body, lost half my coffee on the floor but hasn't happened since, you just need to be aware of it and how you're holding it. My brother also did it, when I lent it to him, after I warned him about that :p

boren (original poster)

#8: Post by boren (original poster) »

Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and ordered the K-Plus. The price was too good to skip and I'm intrigued by its features and (reportedly) better burrs for pour-over. I'll know more once I get it and can compare it with my JX Pro. I'll then decide which grinder to sell.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Pressino »

LindoPhotography wrote: JX Pro has like 8 micron adjustments and I think J Max is like 5micron! (K max may also have that?)

:p
The JX-Pro has 12.5 micron steps. The JMAX has 8.8 micron steps.

pdx-climber

#10: Post by pdx-climber »

boren wrote:@pdx-climber - thanks for the helpful and relevant information!

Between the JX Pro and the K Plus, can you point to significant differences in the quality of the coffee (espresso & pour-over)? And do you consider the blind shaker to be useful at all?
I have only had these for a few days and mainly been using the JX-Pro to make espresso before my DF64 comes. I've made a few V60's with the Kplus but nothing I can say to compare. The Kplus and Kmax should be identical in the cup. Just a couple features different in use. With the Amazon BF day on the Kplus of $215... well if you got that be happy. I did (I'll just return the one I paid $259 for)... except I still think the Kmax is better for me. I see the blind shaker as a bad gimmick. Maybe a great idea that was not well implemented. Even in the vid's 1zpresso posts it looks bad to me... a quick 'snap' that will one day 'spill the beans'. And it leaves a pile so you still have to shake or WDT. And the fact that the max has the lip in the mag-cup makes me think it will not spill that way where I am positive I would do it a couple times on the plus.

The plus looks and feels better to me. Maybe I will keep it and just not use the extra stuff. But the case is bigger too.. a minor issue for me for travel.
The max also perfectly fits the aeropress... tho that matters very little to me since dumping beans is easy anyway... so really its about the size and mag cup... the mag's feel stronger on the plus. I think the use on the picopresso would matter most but I dont have one yet so can't say.

All K series are 22um steps... i wish they were finer. It almost feels like you will run out of range but you probably wont.
JX are 12.5um... Jmax is 8.8um. On the JX for espresso I NEED the steps... they are about perfect. I could do dose adj but having those steps it works well and I can dial in pretty quick when switching beans.
All are very similar and all quality built. They have too damn. many choices.