Ion Beam static reducer - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AssafL

#41: Post by AssafL »

ira wrote:I watched it being used yesterday and it certainly works, Rex suggested it might end up be used more on hopper fed grinders in shops where RDTin not an option.
How do you determine "it works"?

Has EY increased for the same shot parameters?

Or is it cosmetic appearance (e.g. looks "fluffier", fewer clumps)?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

ira
Team HB

#42: Post by ira »

Grinding into a cupping bowl, without Ion Beam, coffee was everywhere, with Ion Beam, coffee was in the bottom of the bowl. It has nothing to do wit anything but cutting static on the coffee exiting the grinder.

Primacog

#43: Post by Primacog »

yakster wrote:People used to use Zerostat anti-static guns marketed for record albums. This should work too.

These sorts of devices are common, I believe, on manufacturing lines.

I was toying with making one from the high voltage chip in bug zappers, but never got around to it.
I've got one of those anti static guns somewhere from my hifi hobbyist days. Must see if it works with my grinder LOL
LMWDP #729

boren

#44: Post by boren »

Is this product supposed to cancel static electricity only at the exit of the chute, or also inside the grinder itself?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#45: Post by baldheadracing »

Primacog wrote:I've got one of those anti static guns somewhere from my hifi hobbyist days. Must see if it works with my grinder LOL
I tried my Zerostat a while ago - it didn't appear to do anything useful - RDT was just as much effort and had better results. It did work: If I had a plastic jar full of static-filled coffee, then firing into the mouth of the jar did do something. I still had to tap the jar to drop the grounds on the sides of the jar, but more coffee left the walls of the jar after firing.

ETA: Re the above, I seem to have been doing it wrong. Next winter I'll test the gun again.

I have brushes that eliminate static with Polonium-210 cartridges. These are used to clean photographic negatives before enlarging and are amazing. The cartridges should work, but need to be replaced every year or so.

The mystery for me is why the Orphan Espresso Fixie has less static than every other grinder that I have.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ira
Team HB

#46: Post by ira »

boren wrote:Is this product supposed to cancel static electricity only at the exit of the chute, or also inside the grinder itself?
I'd guess it only helps what it's aimed at and maybe things around that. I doubt it can help very far up the chute but I didn't spend enough time around it nor did I think to check that.

Icemax33

#47: Post by Icemax33 »

If you've spent that much money and still can't make good espresso just hire a barista to make your coffee everyday- too easy :D

jedovaty

#48: Post by jedovaty »

baldheadracing wrote:The mystery for me is why the Orphan Espresso Fixie has less static than every other grinder that I have.
It probably has something to do with Doug's beard: notice how it was shorter following the release of the Fixie.

ira
Team HB

#49: Post by ira »

Carbon fiber means it's all conductive leading to more static dissipation would be my guess. That is not why the beard was short and it's long again for those keeping track.

GDM528

#50: Post by GDM528 »

ira wrote:Grinding into a cupping bowl, without Ion Beam, coffee was everywhere, with Ion Beam, coffee was in the bottom of the bowl. It has nothing to do wit anything but cutting static on the coffee exiting the grinder.
How far away was the business end of the Ion Beam from the stream of the grind?

Unless they're beamforming, I picture the ions spraying the whole area down, and thereby mitigating field gradients for the entire work area. I may be getting a similar effect when I lightly spray down my work area with my RDT mister (and RDT'd beans) just before grinding, but a closer analog might require an ultrasonic mister.