Inexpensive Chinese Ghost Burr Grinder - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kran

#91: Post by Kran »

Actually...

Mythos burrs. Fit is almost perfect for stationary burr (I made a very thin gasket ~0.2-0.4mm to assure it's spot on). Moving burr I made (3D print) my own carrier to fit the burr, allow for the longer wiper, and account for the increased thickness of the burrs while trying to stay in the sweet spot of the adjustment knob. Foil shimmed the moving burr in the carrier and after 4-5 tries I stuck with the alignment shown on the above image.

3 attempts at dialing in and I'm very close. Motor is definitely under powered for the 74mm burrs but workable. Unfortunately, not enough beans to fully dial in. I have 2lbs new coffee coming by the end of the week so some fun to come this weekend. Hopefully I can either put it to rest for real or start doing side-by-side 64 vs 74 mm burr comparisons.

cdo

#92: Post by cdo »

Wow Kevin nice job! Thats a good looking alignment as well, I was thinking about 3d printing a carrier but was worried about the strength of the material, it may align fine but the pressure of coffee beans could cause some deforming of the carrier no? Man I am really going to have to order a 3d printer it seems there are a lot of interesting things that can be made for Coffee!

Kran

#93: Post by Kran »

I hadn't thought of the possibility that there could be flex caused by the beans. But, if there were some flex I would likely see marks left on the burr chamber from the wipers hitting the wall. Everything is actually quite rigid due to the thickness of the parts and the wall/infill settings on the print. The weakest parts are the wipers.

I'm about 60g in so only time will tell. I'll report the utter failure or possible incremental success once I receive my new batch of beans.

Rappy

#94: Post by Rappy »

What happened to the James Hoffman review of this grinder?

Knowledge is King

#95: Post by Knowledge is King replying to Rappy »

I've been wondering the same thing. It's possible that given his very public status, he has some concerns with giving airtime to what is basically a counterfeit product. Reviewing the Fuji R220 would prob be better optically for him. He has voiced his concern in the past about brewing equipment that is straight copies of Hario products so maybe this falls into that category. I'd really like to see what he has to say about it though.

fede2525

#96: Post by fede2525 »

I think he's just been busy. I sent him a PM on Reddit a couple of weeks ago about it, and this was his reply: "It's on the bench but I haven't had a chance to really push it around yet. Trying to find the time!"

I'm hopefully it'll come out soon, but he'll definitely touch upon the fact that it's such a direct copy of the Fuji machines on his channel.

ducats

#97: Post by ducats »

I bought this little guy may 15, took me close to a month to figure out ideal setting for my various pour over recipes. Small, light weight, low retention, good grinding speed, cheap, cheap, cheap, and Prime eligible, so if you do get a lemon returns should be easy.

About a week or two ago my dial selector would jam, and it would do this on either end of the dial, couldn't go lower than 3.5 or higher than like 6, rough numbers. Took it apart. Thought maybe a coffee particle was stuck somewhere. Found that's not possible. Front burr carrier blocks this as it was jamming at Part 7 the "Regulator." My fix was to remove a part :D I removed part 6 the Round push. Now it's truly stepless and doesn't make that cheap click noise when turning the dial and it still holds setting while grinding, just did a ~1.7 grind (burrs touch at 1) with a light roast washed ethiopian, about 20g. Xeoleo did this no sweat.

Did this weeks ago. Not sure how useful/meaning it is. 3 setting on Xeoleo, would call that medium-fine. Comparison represents different trials from same grind sample. Pic B is probably the cleaner data as the software likes a smaller sample size of particles, none touching each other, no shadows, sounds easier than in practice.
Free app, this should get you on your way https://coffeeadastra.com/2019/04/07/an ... ibution-2/

Here's my mediocre aligned bunnzilla with grind at 7.33, my Tetsu coarse setting

I've got the Yescom Variable Fan/Router Speed Controller coming tomorrow and will compare low RPM grind distribution.

matthewlese

#98: Post by matthewlese »

Just gotta say a quick thanks for pointing towards that particle size distribution app!

ducats

#99: Post by ducats »

Not the results I was expecting, I guess that's why we do these things.

Same beans used. Washed Ethiopian Shantewene, roasted about 13F into Dev.
Left histogram is full rpm. Right histogram is with the controller set to Med, which sounds more like 1/4 speed.

I also noticed by lowering RPM that the sweepers had a harder time flushing the grind chamber.

Hovi

#100: Post by Hovi »

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these, likely the 520A-B version.

Really looking to move into a solid general use for medium-coarse grinds for drop, pour over, and cold brew. I have a Baratza Encore but grinding any larger quantity of beans can really bog it down.