Inexpensive Chinese Ghost Burr Grinder - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
diego-nine

#31: Post by diego-nine »

Hi all!

I bought a Xeoleo and I'm not sure it is grinding well. I would like to go finer with it and I'm having this problem that even when I sieve the grind, there is still a considerably amount of fines left that is making the brew complicated. In comparison, with my old breville I can sieve the fines out and have a mud free brew.

Finest setting (Unsievied)

Coffee bed (Setting 1.5, sievied, removed ~3g of fines)

sjp8175

#32: Post by sjp8175 replying to diego-nine »

I had some issues with the Xeoleo I have too. I was about 10lbs of coffee into it and still wasn't getting awesome results, maybe something on the level of a Baratza encore. I did buy the cheaper version ($120 from AliExpress plus shipping) but I wasn't super happy with the grind. It did do better at a coarser setting so anything that allowed me to increase the dose helped a ton.
Since then I've switched to an OE Apex and there's a night and day difference between the grinders. Would have really liked to test a Royal against the apex and Xeoleo.

Kran

#33: Post by Kran »

I actually did a a side-by-side with my Lido 2 this past weekend and there were only subtle differences with the coffee I was using. I found the ghost burr to be a little bit sweeter.

wsfarrell

#34: Post by wsfarrell replying to Kran »

Indeed, I directly compared Xeoleo and Apex and could not detect a difference.

redbone

#35: Post by redbone »

These can be adjusted finer or coarser. Here is video of a K.A. Pro which has a similar adjustment system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfEUuEy3p1k
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

diego-nine

#36: Post by diego-nine »

wsfarrell wrote:Indeed, I directly compared Xeoleo and Apex and could not detect a difference.
That's surprising. I would love to see photos of your Xeoleo grind/coffee bed alongside with the Apex.

The comments about the Xeoleo are always so mixed...

I did an inspection on the inside of the grinder and everything seems fines, I only noticed that one of the tooth is a little smaller than the others. This could be an issue?

nicfortin

#37: Post by nicfortin »

Hi guys,

I have the flat burr model on it's way as I drink mostly espresso. we'll see, crossing my fingers to get a good unit. :wink:

Do you think it would be possible to swap the burr carrier to install Ghost burrset if I go down that road in the future and IF I find the parts...?

thx and cheers.
nicfortin, BGA0531
Treat your Coffees with Respect! ;-)

cdo

#38: Post by cdo »

Ordered one of these after reading about some of the hype on a German coffee forum, it arrived today and I am already disappointed out of the box.

The finish paint isn't very smooth and looks like it will chip off in areas, the hopper door is quite loose which isn't the end of the world. Unfortunately after opening it up things get worse, the first thing I noticed as a stray screw, luckily I opened up the grinder before using it or it could have done some damage, secondly I noticed some brown residue which I thought may be a bit of machine oil. After using a small light I discovered it was actually coffee ground residue, it appears the grinder was already used before sending it out and it arrived dirty!

I know some may say you get what you pay for but this isn't the cheapest grinder in the world, I ended up paying $200 CAD and then 40 in tax and brokerage fees, for that price I could buy a new baratza encore or a Beeville smart grinder pro, which I know are not the best grinders but at least they are finished well.

I am unsure how to proceed, AliExpress apparently has a free return program but that states the item must be unused, and well the item already came to me used, and I don't know if I should use it more after having these issues.

sweaner (original poster)

#39: Post by sweaner (original poster) »

I had no similar issues. You could try to get a replacement, or just inform them of the issues and then try it out. I have ordered a second for a friend. I will post if I find similar problems.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Rytopa

#40: Post by Rytopa »

I have bought a couple of units on behalf of friend directly from the manufacturer.. all the units arrived with some grinds in the chamber due to their testing prior to shipping out.