Inexpensive Chinese Ghost Burr Grinder - Page 26

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#251: Post by redbone »

I've been using the Xeoleo with the larger ghost burrs since late June 2019. Buying Chinese knockoff grinders. Grinder has worked flawlessly with the rotor controller addition to slow it down and RDT.

May be due to the burrs breaking in but recently I've had to adjust slightly finer to achieve the same results. Could be to seasonal coffee differences.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

CoffeeSeeker

#252: Post by CoffeeSeeker »

Has anyone found any burrs that will swap out with the 78mm ghost teeth burr set on the Xeoleo?

I've been really happy with the grinder as-is, but tinkering with the grinder is part of the reason I picked it up.

Thanks!

Hovi

#253: Post by Hovi »

apoopoo999 wrote:Xeoleo looks cheap out of the box but with some mods looks quite nice on the counterimage
Woah, can you share details on this mod? I reallllly like the looks of that.

Been using my Xeoleo for 3 years now without any issues. Hell of a value as far as I'm concerned.

luftwafflexd

#254: Post by luftwafflexd »

Has anyone found any burrs that you could use?
I'm ok with the grinder(over 2 years of use so far), but would be nice to have another set to experiment.

TheEspressoNerd

#255: Post by TheEspressoNerd »

Has anyone tried the xeoleo with flat burrs that seem to be selling nowadays?

Or are the ghost burrs better?

CoffeeSeeker

#256: Post by CoffeeSeeker »

Looks like the new Timemore Sculptor 078 has a couple of 78mm burr options. Bolt pattern is the same as the Xeoleo, but I'm unsure in the spacing would work.
It would be VERY fun to try those new Turbo Burrs in the Xeoleo.

bgn

#257: Post by bgn »

Interesting thread that I've never noticed but am presently giving drip brewing more attention than usual and a flat or ghost burr interests me. Not sure if I'd be content when that $120 Xeoleo on Amazon or if I should bite the bullet and spend more on the Ode V.2. Looking to discover what drip with less fines tastes like. Presently using the entry level Baratza conical.

Jonk

#258: Post by Jonk »

I have an original but old Fuji Royal as a base for my experience with ghost burrs. The burrs are cast and roughly machined on my unit, this is a picture of a slightly worse set I have as a spare:

So things might be different with new burrs or the Chinese knockoffs.. Anyhow, my experience has been that these ghost burrs can do interesting things to some beans, IIRC most roast levels kind of ended up tasting like medium roast. For some time it was my wildcard grinder that I'd try when I wasn't satisfied with the brews using my regular grinders. It struggled most with light roasts and in the end I put it away to make space for other things.

Currently I use an Ode most of the time. It's just a more versatile grinder in my opinion. You've got several burr options and in comparison it's still an inexpensive grinder. I think it's a safer bet if you're looking for something you won't regret investing in.

barouet

#259: Post by barouet »

I own a Xeoleo 520n and I am wondering if the Sculptor's 078 Turboburr burrsset will work on the Xeoleo grinder. Has anyone tested or investigated?
LMWDP #585

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#260: Post by FotonDrv »

I just received a Xeoleo 500a, a ghost burr little grinder.

It is pretty quiet and has detents on the adjuster. I got it for my moka pots and for Chemex drip and it will work, which amazes me.

I would like it to grind a bit more coarse and was wondering what the general consensus is about shimming the outer burr plate off the motor by a few thousands of an inch?

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train