Inexpensive Chinese Ghost Burr Grinder - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Qporzk

#121: Post by Qporzk »

I'll snap some pics when I get home. Interestingly, the brew I did this morning, I used a V60-03 filter I had, which have always been faster, and with the same recipe got a 3:30min brew...

I do have the grinder calibrated so that the burrs chirp if I push in on the adjustment knob a bit when set to the finest setting, if that's the way I'm supposed to do it :|

Qporzk

#122: Post by Qporzk »

Here are some pics of the burrs and carrier:

DamianWarS

#123: Post by DamianWarS »

fede2525 wrote: Yeah! That's WILD ! I'm getting sub 3:00 minutes at about 1.5. Maybe post some pictures of your burrs, and we can compare to see if something is wrong, because that's some wild brewing times.
The adjustment knob can be calibrated to have finer or coarser setting so the knob position is relative to its calibration.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#124: Post by hankua »

I'm using V60-03 filters with the grinder on "7", draw down is around 3:15-3:30; 40/640 ratio. Along with using the spoon stir technique Scott Rao advocated. It hasn't really changed much except for the little pile of fines on top of a grind going away. A shop owner was showing me how he sifted his grinds and placed the fine back on top of the V60 afterwards.

Hovi

#125: Post by Hovi »

Unfortunately the one that I had ordered on amazon a week ago arrived and it was 220v and the EU plug, so not usable here in the US. Had to send it back.

I was pretty impressed with the size and the build quality though, enough so to reorder one from ali. Now just a waiting game.

Was pretty bummed this first one didn't work out.

TangyWasabi

#126: Post by TangyWasabi »

Do you guys always sift out your grinds? I typically brew 25g batches and end up putting 30g into the grinder, sifting for a minute or 2 and getting almost exactly 25.0g at the end. I just got expensive Geisha and would much rather not waste 16% of it as fines. I'm using the XeoLeo if any other users can chime in.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#127: Post by hankua »

Try putting the sifted fines back on top.

DamianWarS

#128: Post by DamianWarS »

TangyWasabi wrote:Do you guys always sift out your grinds? I typically brew 25g batches and end up putting 30g into the grinder, sifting for a minute or 2 and getting almost exactly 25.0g at the end. I just got expensive Geisha and would much rather not waste 16% of it as fines. I'm using the XeoLeo if any other users can chime in.
Barita Hustle aka Matthew Perger suggests that's it's better to focus on the sieving the boulders than it is the fines.

The theory is both fines and boulders contribute to uneven extraction. If you sift out the fines it allows you to grind finer to obtain an even extraction looking at increasing the attraction ceiling before over-extracted tastes come in. Going finer also reduces the boulders because everything gets smaller so everything is more even.

But if you look at it from the other angle you can get more efficient results (according to perger). Sifting out the boulders will focus on lowering the extraction floor before underextracted tastes. This focus turns from going finer to now going coarser which reduces fines but the fines that are in there you leave alone. Fines also stick to boulders so as you sift the boulders, fines go with it. An advantage is you can regrind boulders to make them smaller, you can't regrind fines to make them coarser so it ends up being a more efficient way looking at getting an even grind.

However, I hear these chinese grinders produce a lot of fines... so it may not be that beneficial to leave them in there.

Jonk

#129: Post by Jonk »

One neat trick with the fines, if you only put a portion of it back, is to make Turkish coffee with it. Suddenly it's not a hassle anymore to grind that fine :lol:

6g and you're good to go. Be sure to check out https://www.specialtyturkishcoffee.com/ ... eparation/ if you haven't already.

Charlemagne

#130: Post by Charlemagne »

The BH principals described by Damian make sense, but I found sifting to make the brews taste worse. I don't understand why exactly, but I've stopped sifting for now. I'll try the fines on top method next.