Inconsistent shot weight with newly received Niche Zero

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » Mar 21, 2019, 6:14 pm

Got my Niche Zero. HORRIBLE so far. Putting the grind setting to like, 10.25 clogs it (5g) and 10.5 runs way to fast (like 90+ grams). What could be going on?

EDIT: For anyone starting this thread, its more of that the grind is really inconsistent the same grind setting back to back can vary by a minimum of at least 40g, probably more.

EDIT: Workaround: The issue is avoided by using the stock baskets. I was using a Decent 20g basket, when I switch back I get consistent performance from the grinder.

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Mar 21, 2019, 6:25 pm

liquidmetal wrote:Got my Niche Zero. HORRIBLE so far. Putting the grind setting to like, 10.25 clogs it (5g) and 10.5 runs way to fast (like 90+ grams). What could be going on?

The difference between 10.25 and 10.5 is very small I am surprised such a tiny tiny adjustment would or could make that much difference? I find the difference between say 18 and 19 is from 3-4 seconds on the pour for the same weight of espresso out. I am not sure you would see very much difference going from 18.0 to 18.25, perhaps a second or less, but it would be very difficult to make such a small adjustment.

I would recommend undoing the top ring and checking the outer burr is moving freely up and down, but even then I can't really guess at what's going on to give such a huge difference in the espresso extracted.

Any chance of a Video showing the two grind settings, your adjustments and grinding/extraction so we can see what's happening

Nick Name

Postby Nick Name » Mar 21, 2019, 6:51 pm

Yes, we need more information of what's going on, a video would help a lot, plus also it sure would help to know what has happened before your Niche started behaving in such a weird way. Did something happen? Or was the original package damaged in any way? Or anything... ? This is such an odd thing that it is hard to see the cause of it unless more info is given.

This seems to be such an isolated incident that it may be just really awfully bad luck (like less than one out of a ten thousand). In that case I'd contact Niche. To be honest, I'd have started with that given the nice reputation they have dealing with problems. If you have contacted them already, what did they say?

If you haven't, maybe you should?

Dave's suggestion of breaking it apart a little bit is naturally a good idea... but let's start with the video, since it all sounds really odd to me.

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » replying to Nick Name » Mar 21, 2019, 6:54 pm

I just pulled three shots back to back with the same grind setting. The shots are all over the place. 57g, 40g, and 8g. Same dose each time, 20.1g, and the coffee pulls just fine with my sette270.
Here's a link with some pics. Is the burr supposed to wobble like that?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZcHqyGqEfvY5ubE47

Yeah, I wanted to check with you guys first to see if there's anything obviously wrong. I'm going to reach out.

I also added a video of what it looks like when I'm pressing down on the outer burr.

The box arrived in perfect condition.

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Mar 21, 2019, 7:32 pm

The burr isn't wobbling, it's only the locking nut(uses a keyway), completely normal. However, can you tell me which way the burr is rotating I can't tell for sure from the vid?

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » replying to DaveC » Mar 21, 2019, 7:36 pm

Okay, got it. It is rotating clockwise. Burr seasoning wouldn't be this extreme, right?

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Mar 21, 2019, 8:19 pm

No seasoning is not going to cause this... I had hoped the burr was rotating anticlockwise, which might have explained it.

I will look at the photos again, but I really have no idea..do the grinds look normal?

sweaner
Supporter ♡

Postby sweaner » Mar 21, 2019, 9:02 pm

A setting around 10 is quite low for espresso, IMO. I am running around 22. Did you calibrate?
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

ash4889

Postby ash4889 » replying to sweaner » Mar 21, 2019, 9:14 pm

When I calibrated my Compak it took me a whole pound of coffee to get it right, with this amazing little grinder it put in only 18gm to get it perfect. BTW I have mine set at 20 and getting a perfect shot so far, setting hasn't changed or anything.

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Mar 21, 2019, 9:39 pm

As Dave pointed out, what you're seeing is the lock-nut wobbling, not the burr. FWIW, my unit displayed the exact behaviour (wobbling nut, outer burr carrier movement). However, the extraction has been very consistent for me. So I don't think those observations are of any concern. I would look elsewhere.

Just some thoughts, are you doing any kind of redistribution technique or WDT? In my experience that might affect the shot flow rate as well.

Does the grind setting move? Are the springs present under the outer burr carrier?

I would also try grinding coarser just to see if it changes the extraction as expected. Also to confirm your grind setting, do you really mean 10.25 or 12.5?