Impact of popcorning on single dosing - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

If you say so.
Jim Schulman

walt_in_hawaii

#12: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

CwD wrote:A single dosed grinder can outperform literally every other grinder in the world hoppered and still underperform versus the quality it would have hoppered. But all-at-once single dosing has the inherent issue, no matter the grinder or burrs, that the first beans ground are pushed through the burrs differently than the last. I trickle beans in slowly such that no beans have weight on them, to keep grind constant throughout the dose.
Wow Mitch, I thought I was anal about my methodology :)
I just ain't got the patience to trickle anything. I figured a bean under 19g of other beans vs a bean with nothing above it isn't going to present a significant difference to the set of coarse teeth in the beginning stage of any grinder; I'm sure it does, but not to the extent I can measure or be concerned with. So single dosing; yes. Trickle; nah, if it came to that I'd rig some sort of inclined loading dock and lay the beans in a thin trail on it, like a thin chute?
there actually is precedent for such an arrangement; ever seen a progressive reloader for, say, pistol ammunition? Where discrete quantized units are a necessity for the operating system vs a mass of beans needed to produce a cup of grounds. Something like a Dillon XL650. Coffee and guns. Yahoo.