If Niche Zero makes a v2, what changes would you like to see?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

Decided to pose this question to see what current or future owners of Niche Zero would like to have implemented if there was a v2. Been reading some minor gripes such as popcorning and the addition of an auger. For me I'd like to see a different type of switch from the current bat style to toggle K30 or turn switch as in Fiorenzato F4E. For safety reasons the grinder will not start without the lid closed which understandable. Outside of depressing the trigger or bypassing the safety, the grinding process involves placing beans in and closing lid to start the grind. I'd like to see a sliding chute closer which would prevent the machine from starting with beans at burrs. Allowing the machine to start up before introducing beans has many advantages including less wear on motor and gears, more uniform varied grind distribution, lessoned potential for stall especially on light roasts. Not sure if popcorning may be reduced.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

Don't own one, but would love to see a flat burr version!

mohninme

#3: Post by mohninme »

maxbmello wrote:love to see a flat burr version!
Don't own one .................. yet!

+1
Michael

nonlinear

#4: Post by nonlinear »

As my first proper grinder, and having never used any other proper grinders, I have no requests on the functional side.

Aesthetically it would be nice to have some different wood options.

dominoak

#5: Post by dominoak »

redbone wrote:Decided to pose this question to see what current or future owners of Niche Zero would like to have implemented if there was a v2. Been reading some minor gripes such as popcorning and the addition of an auger. For me I'd like to see a different type of switch from the current bat style to toggle K30 or turn switch as in Fiorenzato F4E.
It seems software has given us an appetite for versions to "improve" things. Two of the things (auger and anti-popcorn device) you mention seem to derive from the Hoffmann review. Both have already been addressed on the Niche grinder thread here by simply placing something like a blind basket upside-down over the pile of beans before turning the grinder on. As a single doser, I do not see any need for a larger cone into which to pile beans. For the switch you can rely on the micro-switch activated by the lid and just leave the toggle on.

Notnert

#6: Post by Notnert »

I end up using a blind basket when grinding to prevent popcorning. I guess what I'd like to see is a sort of bellows built into the device like the Ceado E37SD has. I tried using a OXO silicone decorating bottle, but I felt like it was making more of mess than I wanted and ended up returning it. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my NZ.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mgwolf »

I have the OXO cake decorating bellows which I think works well and does not make any mess.

lagoon

#8: Post by lagoon »

I would like:

Tilted flat burrs. 75mm titanium.
200g hopper
Portafilter holder
Gravimetric dosing

Then it would be perfect :)

tracer bullet

#9: Post by tracer bullet »

Slightly better finished wood.

A switch that feels more robust, even if the current one truly already is indeed robust.

Some sort of anti-popcorning device even if it's just a simple silicone curved shape of some sort. Would a slight change to the shape of the "top" of the gears be possible, or is that changing an off the shelf component for them?

Static reduction for the cup.

mianor

#10: Post by mianor »

The latest grinder from Wilfa is a single dose grinder with an auto off function, meaning you put the beans inside, press a button and the grinder automatically stops when it has grinded through all the beans. I would like to see a similar function on the Niche too.