If Niche Zero makes a v2, what changes would you like to see? - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
iploya

#81: Post by iploya »

That's pretty cool. I want one of those 3D printers.

LondonBunny
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by LondonBunny »

Bmoore002 wrote:I've had my Niche Zero for two months now. What a joy. I use it with my 1983 rebuilt Elektra Microcasa. Dosing from the Niche cup into a 49mm portafilter basket takes some balancing and is often messy. An optional Niche cup for the 49mm baskets would be fantastic.
I found that the Green Cuisine glass spice jars (screw tops) fit just right - they both sit in the wooden base nicely and pour without spilling into 49mm baskets.
https://www.greencuisine.co.uk/photos/categories/15.jpg

davidhunternyc

#83: Post by davidhunternyc »

I just discovered this thread. I love this discussion. I do hope that Niche Zero makes a V2. There are five changes that I would like to see.

1) Tighten up the shape somewhat. It looks like a "wilted eggplant" to my eyes. It's not the best looker so streamline it somewhat.
2) Offer a darker wood color. The blond wood looks awful on the black grinder. Offer dark walnut or wenge.
3) Also, those cone shaped feet just spin around and they are strangely shaped also.
4) I've seen videos that show plastic motor bits. Improve the interior elements and motor with solid steel or aluminum parts.
5) Make the plastic cover better. Make it out of gorilla glass or tritan plastic.... just some ideas. : )

I would pay to $50 - $100 more to see these upgrades. I hope Niche Zero is still reading these comments. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

splashalot

#84: Post by splashalot »

I've not read through this whole thread, so these may already have been mentioned:

1.) A flat burr model. The Niche was my first conical burr grinder and it wasn't until I'd owned one a while that I realised both my wife and I much prefer the flat burr's flavours. I'm currently tossing up whether to ditch the Niche and give up some of the single dosing ability for something like an Atom 75. If there is a flat burr Niche on the way, I would probably hold off until that arrives.

2.) Redesign the casing. The "wilted eggplant" comment above made me laugh - it is so accurate. I'm not at all a fan of the current design's aesthetics.

3.) Re-position the grinds outlet chute further from the grinder body to allow easier, more even grinding direct to (hand held) portafilter. Currently the Niche grinder's chute is too close to the body, meaning grinds are dumped close to the edge of the PF basket. Which means manual redistribution is necessary before tamping.

4.) Make the silver collar deeper. Mainly to better avoid accidental concurrent movement of the calibration collar. Similarly, maybe texture the silver collar to make it easier to grip and also add a tactile difference between the dosing collar and the calibration collar.

5.) I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe some form of grounding device on which the metal dosing cup sits to disperse static. For example, a metal strip in the current removable wooden base which contacts another metal implant in the grinder body base and which is in contact with the bench. I occasionally have nightmare static issues (cold, dry climate) which makes the Niche difficult and frustrating to use.

But of all of these, the flat burr option is the most important to me. Followed by the grinds chute repositioning, then anti-static measures.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#85: Post by jwCrema »

I really like this grinder - these are 1.1 tweaks, except for the best for last request.

No wood. It's getting stained by grounds and will look dirty in a few more months. I am using a basket with a funnel in lieu of the 58mm catch cup due to MCAL 49mm baskets.

The toggle switch for ship's power seems like they got tired and gave up.

This is an outrageous request: As the grinder does its thing, I spin the basket to disburse grinds evenly in the basket. Doing this makes for a perfect cone of heaped grinds. Make the base where the basket / catch cup "rotate". This would prevent potential carpal tunnel on my spinning finger and would be mesmerizing to watch. Mind you, it should not be so fast that grinds would sling across the counter. Rotation speed would need to be adjustable.

Overall, I could not be happier with this grinder. I was going to upgrade to a Monolith, but the price point, crowd satisfaction, and no lottery hassle was compelling.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#86: Post by yakster »

When I grind into a basket in my Vario, I spin the basket too. Having a grinder that rotated the basket would be great, I'd like to see that. Use a rotating magnet in the base with a paired basket holder on top that rotates. If you really want something crazy, levitate the basket under the grinder and rotate it!
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#87: Post by jwCrema »

The levitating spinning basket would definitely spook the neighbors. It would require a kill switch using ESP.

kaimojurgis1

#88: Post by kaimojurgis1 »

splashalot wrote:I've not read through this whole thread, so these may already have been mentioned:

1.) A flat burr model. The Niche was my first conical burr grinder and it wasn't until I'd owned one a while that I realised both my wife and I much prefer the flat burr's flavours. I'm currently tossing up whether to ditch the Niche and give up some of the single dosing ability for something like an Atom 75. If there is a flat burr Niche on the way, I would probably hold off until that arrives.

2.) Redesign the casing. The "wilted eggplant" comment above made me laugh - it is so accurate. I'm not at all a fan of the current design's aesthetics.

3.) Re-position the grinds outlet chute further from the grinder body to allow easier, more even grinding direct to (hand held) portafilter. Currently the Niche grinder's chute is too close to the body, meaning grinds are dumped close to the edge of the PF basket. Which means manual redistribution is necessary before tamping.

4.) Make the silver collar deeper. Mainly to better avoid accidental concurrent movement of the calibration collar. Similarly, maybe texture the silver collar to make it easier to grip and also add a tactile difference between the dosing collar and the calibration collar.

5.) I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe some form of grounding device on which the metal dosing cup sits to disperse static. For example, a metal strip in the current removable wooden base which contacts another metal implant in the grinder body base and which is in contact with the bench. I occasionally have nightmare static issues (cold, dry climate) which makes the Niche difficult and frustrating to use.

But of all of these, the flat burr option is the most important to me. Followed by the grinds chute repositioning, then anti-static measures.
Regarding flat burrs... Have you properly broke your in? As stated, it needs ~6kg off coffee, but some report it to be a bit more.

Regarding #3, manual redistribution of ground coffee has proven to significantly reduce channeling, some of which you would never identify with a naked eye, but which greatly impacts the outcome. Decent espresso machines show that very clearly, so forcing manual redistribution these guys are actually making everybody's coffee better :D

On #5, when you weight the beans, take a teaspoon, run through tap water, and stir your beans using the tip - that should eliminate static completely

boren

#89: Post by boren »

An airtight hopper that automatically doses the right amount of beans to the grinder, with measuring accuracy of +/- 0.1 gram. Preferably with (at least) 5 separate presets - single and double espresso shots, filter (e.g. V60), drip and cold brew. If the grinder can also remember the grind coarseness setting for each preset and automatically switch to that it would be even nicer.

benrudick

#90: Post by benrudick »

I'm finding that small adjustments have a big impact (e.g ~15.2 to ~15.4), so I'd like:

-macro and fine adjustment via two knobs (big and small), as with a microscope

-an expanded adjustment range with more markings, though I can see how the current markings are limited by the visible portion of the ring given its tilt

Otherwise it's awesome!