I painted my Super Jolly

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mixuala

#1: Post by mixuala »

I had some Black Cherry Pearl left over from paining my wheels, so I gave the grinder a new coat. It was a decent paint job, suffers from a little orange peel, but OK for an amateur.

What do you think?

elbee

#2: Post by elbee »

More than OK. Great Job!

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Looks great! Congrats on a good job! I'm always riding the fence when it comes to doing a custom paint job on grinders like these, I often forgo the badges afterwards, but that's entirely subjective.

Does it have some sparkle/pearl to it?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Great Job!

Why?

Because all I can think of is 'Lola' - The Kinks

"Girls will be Boys & Boys will be Girls - It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world"

But YOU - did a great job!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

looks great! did you use a spray can, and if so did you use any primer and then a top coat, followed by clear coat ?
I'm about to do this for my Major, and got me a spare Super Jolly that I may use as guinea pig :mrgreen:

It's hard to avoid orange peel without having pro equipment and a pro working the paint, there are so many variable you need to think of and control....as long as the majority of car manufacturers ship cars suffering from orange peel I'd be happy with this result.

lots of layer with wet sanding in between can get you a great if not stellar result with a deep and 'wet' shine but that comes at the cost of many hours...
LMWDP #483

mixuala (original poster)

#6: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

I did use spray cans for primer/color/clear coat. And that's exactly what I learned-it's hard to avoid orange peel without professional equipment.

There is a decent amount of pearl, but only in direct light. I got a little more sparkle on the wheels I painted. This was a spur of the moment decision because I had some extra paint. Unfortunately, I then discovered I didn't have enough extra paint so I had to order another can. Oops

mdmvrockford

#7: Post by mdmvrockford »

mixuala wrote:I had some Black Cherry Pearl left over from paining my wheels, so I gave the grinder a new coat. It was a decent paint job, suffers from a little orange peel, but OK for an amateur.

What do you think?
For a non-professional, that looks pretty darn good. And certainly exponentially superior to my painting skills.

Would you mind sharing the manufacturer of the primer, color and clear coat?

Thank you in advance.

This post is from former factory-black Mazzer Super Jolly owner. I am now looking for quality, used Mazzer Major that I would custom paint.
LMWDP #568

SandraF

#8: Post by SandraF »

Two thumbs up. Love the color - rich and just right shimmer. Thanks for sharing.

#9: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

Here's what I used:

1. motip primer

2. Black Cherry Pearl color

3. 2K clear coat

But the primary project was repainting my wheels, so I went all-in and got the proper mask/filters for use with 2K paints. That stuff can be really toxic. Also, a proper degreaser because that is supposed to be a key step for proper primer/paint adhesion.

Plus 3M sanding pads to 600 and scotchbrite "red" to prep the surface before primer. And a very light scotchbrite "grey" between the primer and the color coat

#10: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

BTW, I'm using one of these IKEA spice jars as a one day bean hopper--it works really well.

https://www.ikea.com/be/fr/p/rajtan-boc ... -40064702/

But i'm wondering if there is a better solution than duct tape to close the big hole covering the motor. any ideas?