I love my Cimbali Max Hybrid, but . . . I got a "new" Mahlkönig Vario - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Lockman

#81: Post by Lockman »

I am still on the fence about this grinder. I really like the Elektra Nino but I it is too much $$. It seems to be the best doserless grinder out there so far from what I can see. I think the clumping issue is overblown though. I get clumping in my max pro but I can still tamp with out WDT and it seems fine at the cup as well as the flow at the PF. Am I sinning here some how? :twisted:
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

zin1953 (original poster)

#82: Post by zin1953 (original poster) »

Jeff, when the clumping "issue" arose earlier in this thread, I started paying more attention. Bottom line: sometimes the K30 Vario clumps; sometimes it doesn't. I've ground-and-pulled successive shots, one with WDT and the other without -- I honestly can't taste a significant difference between them . . . certainly not to the extent that I can with my Quick Mill doserless (used occasionally for decaf; that, too, may affect the results).
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Advertisement
Lockman

#83: Post by Lockman »

Cool,

Thanks Jason,

Thats what I figured, yet, it seems there is this demon called "clumps" out there.

Wow, I did a fresh roast today for the first time in awhile, OMG! What a difference! :shock:
I had been polishing some fair trade stuff I had in the fridge.

THIS IS LIGHT YEARS BETTER :!:

Now I am voting for fresh roasted and ground coffee as the greatest improvement in the cup of all.
I had almost 100% crema (mostly of one color) by the time the double was finished.
Sure wish I could drink more! :cry:

Thank you SM!
LMWDP #226.

Juanjo

#84: Post by Juanjo »

FWIMC

Mahlkonig dealer in Cali have a short hopper available for the K30

the hopper is for 1lbs of coffee, about 5"1/2 tall, 27"1/2 high overall.

I was so ready to ordered till I have the dumb idea of asking "HOW MUCH?"
-$126 .. OUCHHHH
cheers,
Juanjo

networkcrasher

#85: Post by networkcrasher »

I paid like 95 for mine from Ditting.

I wonder if it's the same one.

Lockman

#86: Post by Lockman »

Well, I am buying Mark's since he is another lucky Nino owner. I think this grinder will take care of me for awhile to come. :wink:
LMWDP #226.

oltimer

#87: Post by oltimer »

Ditting KE 640 update (and K 30 too?)
I finally sent mine back for clumping issues and was told that an update was in process. So here it is, the update, and changes, but I'll have to wait till end of August before getting my grinder back and making any 1st hand comments.

Advertisement
Lockman

#88: Post by Lockman »

That would be GREAT! As much as I like this grinder, I don't even grind into the PF anymore. I grind into a cocktail shaker for clump breakage and better control. Otherwise I get coffee all over the counter. Sure comes out fast! The grind time adjust is a breeze though. If these improvements work, I will be glad I passed Nino by (she soo sexy though :wink: ).
My dosage varies a bit as well (I didn't expect that). I use a scale and it can change by as much as a couple of grams. I have the single side set up as a quick pulse to make up for lack (to Mark's credit).

I will have to check with "local" Mahlkonig and see if they can do the update as well. Thank you Oltimer for this timely post. I still have my Max so I can be grinding away while it is in the shop. :mrgreen:
LMWDP #226.

Lockman

#89: Post by Lockman »

Juanjo wrote:FWIMC

Mahlkonig dealer in Cali have a short hopper available for the K30

the hopper is for 1lbs of coffee, about 5"1/2 tall, 27"1/2 high overall.

I was so ready to ordered till I have the dumb idea of asking "HOW MUCH?"
-$126 .. OUCHHHH
I dropped a pound into mine and had room to spare. I think it would hold at least a pound and a half. Fits under the cabinets :) .
LMWDP #226.

JonR10

#90: Post by JonR10 »

oltimer wrote:So here it is, the update, and changes, but I'll have to wait till end of August before getting my grinder back and making any 1st hand comments.

After spending a small fortune to completely refurbish and update my K30 to be a Vario with the latest firmware I am probably NOT going to attempt this update.

I looks like the entire burr assembly is shaped differently; the mountings where the brass ring attaches have been cast in the new assembly housing and the same seems true of the mounting for the new spout.

So to do a modification to add these new features the entire burr assembly must be replaced. I'll venture to guess that it's cost-prohibitive based on my experience with buying Mahlkoenig parts.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas