I can't grind fine enough on Eureka Mignon

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
superuz34

#1: Post by superuz34 »

I everybody !

Firstly, English is not my mother tongue so if I make any spelling mistakes please excuse me. I speak French, so if anyone would like to answer my question in French, I'd be happy to do so.

So, it's been almost a year since i've had my espresso equipment. I bought an aftermarket ranciolio silvia V5 and a brand-new eureka mignon specialita. for the first couple of month, i try to dial espresso with the standard settings (original opv, rancilio basket). But as i quickly switch to a 18g Vst basket and adjust the opv to 9bar. After that i try to buy more premium/speciality coffee beans. And since then the first struggle to dial espresso began because i couldn't go any finer on my eureka mignon without the burr touching. First i try to overdose the basket and put 19g inide, instead of the original 18g. I also made the alignement burr as perfect as i can on my grinder.

But still with all this change, with some coffee beans i can't grind fine enough without the burr touching or i have almost no room to adjust de grind size. So i was wondering if runing sometimes the grinder with the burr sligly touching could have damage them. Or is there something i missing in the process ???

I have no clue of what to do more. so if anyone has any ideas how to help me I'm open to your comments !

filmdubber

#2: Post by filmdubber »

I had this same issue.... Are you single dosing?

I added a single dose hoppper and angled base and found the same thing..

The thing is the mignon is not designed for single dose, so it relies on the pressure of the beans to keep the Burrs apart.. if you have the hopper on and the flow is continuous you can get a lot finer without the burrs touching but if you single dose you'll hear them touch until the beans go in and after... try it you'll see the difference.

superuz34 (original poster)

#3: Post by superuz34 (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice ! I might try to put the whole bag of beans inside the grinder tomorrow

guijan12

#4: Post by guijan12 »

The above is a helpful tip to start solving your issue with.

Why do you want to grind finer?
Is it because of the taste of your espresso (bitter, sour, ....)?
Does it run through your pf, without even having pressure on the puck?
you bought more premium/specialty coffee: what coffee and how old is it?

Imo all information needed to help you solving it. :lol:
Regards,

Guido

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

FWIW, if the burrs are lightly touching and that's what it takes to grind fine enough and especially if they stop touching when you add beans, there is no actual downside to letting them touch. If you look at the burrs you'll see that the very outside edges of both burrs are flat so they slide against each other. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but if it works, all it might do is wear the burrs out a tiny bit faster.

filmdubber

#6: Post by filmdubber »

Exactly this is what I did with mine, single dosing slight touch only when turning on and off not when beams going through. I repeatedly checked for damage and found none.

I now have a p64 tho and this issue no longer exists.. lol.