Huie-71 espresso grinders with 71mm Robur burrs - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
canuckcoffeeguy

#11: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

bakafish wrote:Why you took my photos without my permission? :evil:
If this is your creation, you could use this opportunity to generate awareness of your product and explain how it works. You've already got a curious audience.

Just a thought.

Or did you just do the photography?

bakafish

#12: Post by bakafish replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

I am just a user. The photos were took by me and the post in doublehelix's link was mine as well. I posted it in a Taiwan forum mobile01.com, but I deleted it for some reason, so the link is just a cache and only contains a small part. When you click into the link, you can see "Started 4 months, 3 weeks ago by bakafish" at beginning. I still keep all the photos of it in my computer. I also posted some in two China forums. I believe the photos were stolen from there.

This is my Lambro, restored by Pascal, with the huie-71. The photo was taken at my office. Now they are at my home.

I just took the photo with my smart phone. Sorry for the poor quality.

canuckcoffeeguy

#13: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Cool. Tell us about this grinder. How do you like it? What's the grind quality? How accurate is dosing?

HB
Admin

#14: Post by HB »

bakafish wrote:Why you took my photos without my permission? :evil:
For future reference, please use the "Report a post" button (it looks like "!") as explained in the terms of service and a moderator will handle it. I've removed the photos from the opening post.
Dan Kehn

doublehelix

#15: Post by doublehelix »

Website showing Huie-71 videos:

http://www.zhuatieba.com/video/XODM4ODQ3NzMy

Taobao site:

http://world.taobao.com/item/4271938812 ... .13.9bk67i

Seems like there are two prices: 4400 and 9200 Yuan--reasons for this difference are lost in Google Translation... :x

DanoM

#16: Post by DanoM »

The price of the machine is 9200 yuan with prepay of 4400 yuan [and balance remaining I assume]
Or if you prepay all it's 8800 yuan

At least that's what I think Google translate was telling me.

EDIT: The circlular action of the wiper made it look like there was an issue, but I was wrong:
The video makes it look like there's a bit of a burr alignment issue there as the grinds seem to continue around and around in a circle instead of a general shower on the entire ring.
Unfortunately I don't have experience with an HG1 or Versalab to say whether my observation is valid. :?
LMWDP #445

spiffy

#17: Post by spiffy »

I think the 4400 RMB is a deposit.

I skimmed related threads on it briefly and apparently there are quite a few usability issues with it. Something about it counting revolutions of the motor as opposed to using time to determine grind volume (making dose unintuitive to adjust), and apparently there's no way to pause/stop a preprogrammed grind without going something like 2 levels into the menu. I'm not even sure why electronic dosing is needed for this type of single dose design. (Amusingly, the buyer then went on to say how it was difficult to clean leftover beans out from the beehive - maybe preweighing the dose is uncommon there?)

Interestingly, the holder on the bottom is shaped to hold a bare basket (looks like a perfect fit) instead of a portafilter. I love how much all these little design details and decisions point to differences in the designer's coffee workflow.

Here's a thread with more pictures: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3644958623

bakafish

#18: Post by bakafish replying to spiffy »

You found one of my posts in China forums. :D

It is custom made. You can prepaid RMB 4400 to order and pay more RMB 4400 after you receive the notice of ready to ship. Or you can order it without prepaid and pay RMB 9200 at a time when you receive the notice.

Lets stop guessing. There is no alignment or usability issue except the motor torque is a little bit low. If I dial it too fine, about turkish, the actual grind rpm will fall to about 60 rpm. If I setup it at 120 rpm, it will be forced into the protection mode and stop the motor. It is ok at 60 rpm and no problem to me because I am single dosing and the espresso tastes better at 60 rpm, so I do not setup it higher than 60 rpm and I do not make turkish coffee.

There are popping beans with single dosing. More rpm more popping. I grind 16g illy medium roast need 2x rotations at 60 rpm, but 3x rotations at 120 rpm, so the grind time is not double for 60 and 120 rpm.

If you think there is an alignment issue, maybe it is because the funnel wiper. The funnel inside is not very glossy, but almost zero retention.

This photo just shows the funnel inside, not retention.

bakafish

#19: Post by bakafish »

There are 3 buttons on the base. From top, they are single, double, and settings. In the settings, they are add, subtract, and change menu.

This is a photo during double grind. The setting is 43 rotations, and now 33.7 rotations remain. Press any button to pause. Press double button to resume (Because this is a double grind. If in single grind, press single to resume.), and any buttons other than double to stop when pause.

To setup single grind rotations. I think it is a typo. :lol:

spiffy

#20: Post by spiffy »

Sorry to have misinterpreted your impressions and put words in your mouth! My Chinese is rusty...

Thanks for the English review - looks like an interesting grinder, especially for not much more than an HG one.