How to remove top burr on Ceado E5SD?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
michaelafcadio

#1: Post by michaelafcadio »

Are there any Ceado E5SD owners out there that can offer some advice for how to remove the top burr assembly so that I can access the burrs and grinding chamber for properly cleaning?

I've had my grinder for about three weeks, and have been unable to figure out how to open up the burrs and grinding chamber for cleaning. I also have experience with the Ceado E37S, which is super simple to remove the top burr assembly for cleaning. The E5SD is different, and from what I can tell, is much more difficult to access the burrs.

After reading threads on the E5P and E6P such as:
Ceado E5P/E6P Tips

and looking at videos detailing complete disassembly and assembly of the Ceado E5P such as:
it appears the E5SD and E5P have a different mechanism holding in the top burr assembly and adjustment collar. Specifically, the thumb screw and stop screws holding in the adjustment collar on the E5P are not present on the E5SD.

Here's what I've tried, without success:
  • Turning the adjustment collar coarser (clockwise) until it cannot be turned further does not release the adjustment collar or burr assembly.
  • Turning the adjustment collar finer (counter-clockwise) until it cannot be turned further does not release the adjustment collar or burr assembly.
  • Removing two small screws on the top of the adjustment collar does remove the plastic collar, but the metal adjustment assembly covering the top burr is still firmly place, does not budge, and doesn't provide access to the burrs.
I'm surprised how different and more challenging this is compared to the E37S. If it would be helpful, I can upload some photos, but I'm hoping a simple description from someone familiar with this grinder will reveal something obvious that I'm missing. This has really got me stumped.

Thank you for your time and patience,
Michael

pwginn

#2: Post by pwginn »

You may be over-thinking it but I will make a video for you real quick if you want.

pwhinson

#3: Post by pwhinson »

I returned a similar grinder the E5P because of the difficulty in getting into the grind chamber. If you're plastic adjustment ring has a plastic stop molded into it to prevent it from making back to back 360 degree revolutions (like mine did) this video won't work for you. You're not "missing anything." It appears as though Ceado doesn't anticipate end users getting into grinding chamber. That was a deal killer for me. This is not same as WLL describes in their videos which show you simply unscrewing the adjustment ring and the upper burr assembly w carrier.

pwginn

#4: Post by pwginn »

Here's my video showing how easy it is:

pwhinson

#5: Post by pwhinson »

Preston this is the older model with the set screw. They've eliminated the set screw and molded in a plastic stop on the underside of the adjustment collar now. ENTIRELY DIFFERENT. You cannot turn the adjustment collar 360 degrees over and over again unscrewing the top assembly as shown in your video. WON'T WORK. You can't get into the current production model's this way. Or ANY way, short of making some kind of handle you can bolt onto the upper burr carrier ring. I wish you guys would stop posting these videos of older models. The OP has no set screw on the adjustment collar and the adjustment collar won't rotate 360 degrees before it hits a molded plastic stop on the inside of the plastic ring.

pwginn

#6: Post by pwginn »

Oh this makes more sense now. I could have sworn the OP originally said "e5p" but now I see it says "e5sd" the single dose model. I get it now.

pwhinson

#7: Post by pwhinson »

You can no longer gain access to the grinding chamber on any of the E5s or E6s. At least not the way you used to be able to.

michaelafcadio (original poster)

#8: Post by michaelafcadio (original poster) »

I'll post a photo comparing the underside of the adjustment collar on my E5SD compared to E5P in the video above. If you look at this still from the video at 17:36:

The area I noted in a red oval has a hard plastic stop molded into the plastic on the E5SD, preventing the adjustment collar from rotating all the way around. I think if I remove the adjustment collar, I may be able to get a hold of the metal assembly and rotate it by hand assuming I can get a grip on it. I'm surprised that this info isn't available on the Ceado website and Tech Support at Whole Latte Love doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about.

Maybe the design of this grinder has recently changed?

#9: Post by michaelafcadio (original poster) »

pwhinson wrote:I returned a similar grinder the E5P because of the difficulty in getting into the grind chamber. If you're plastic adjustment ring has a plastic stop molded into it to prevent it from making back to back 360 degree revolutions (like mine did) this video won't work for you. You're not "missing anything." It appears as though Ceado doesn't anticipate end users getting into grinding chamber. That was a deal killer for me. This is not same as WLL describes in their videos which show you simply unscrewing the adjustment ring and the upper burr assembly w carrier.
Wow. This looks exactly like what I'm seeing! I cannot imagine not getting into the grinding chamber to thoroughly clean the grinder. I view this as critally important on a single dosing grinder.

#10: Post by michaelafcadio (original poster) »

pwhinson wrote:You can no longer gain access to the grinding chamber on any of the E5s or E6s. At least not the way you used to be able to.
For real?! That sounds most illogical. :(