How to properly season new Monolith grinders

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DaumierS

#1: Post by DaumierS »

Just received my new Monolith flat MAX and conical MC4. Not sure how to properly season them. Some people say we need at least 15 kg of beans for each grinder. Where do I get 30 kg of beans? Secondly, should they be good beans or just anything goes?

Right now the taste of my espressos is better than with my previous Monolith titanium 75 mm flat, even without seasoning. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S3Tq2X ... sp=sharing

TallDan

#2: Post by TallDan »

Let taste be your guide. If you're enjoying what you are getting out of the grinder now, I wouldn't waste time and coffee on seasoning.

I didn't do any bulk seasoning on my flat max. I'd say that the espresso is better now than when I first got it, which supports the idea that seasoning improves shots. However, I've also adjusted my processes around the grinder. There's no shortcut to seasoning the barista.

There's an active thread in the kafatek forum with people talking about seasoning their grinders, and honestly, I think some of them have taken this idea way too far.

DaumierS (original poster)

#3: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

Also, with my 2017 Monolith flat I almost never had channeling for many years (certainly, there is a learning curve in preparing the basket), but right now I do have channeling occasionally with my new conical. And again, never with the new flat MAX. Not sure why...

Generally, are conical grinders prone to channeling?

On the other hand, I found the conical to be very forgiving. Even with the bad timing when dialing in the new beans, the taste is still OK. Interesting...

cibby

#4: Post by cibby »

Have you checked the Kafatek forum? There's a long thread there on this topic, multiple actually. If I'm summarizing correctly...
1. Max Shuriken, don't think many feel seasoning is necessary. I got mine used, Sept '21 build, has been fantastic since my day 1. I'm in the 1-2 dial range for espresso.
2. MC4, I have the TiN burrs. Based on the prior owner who put about 7 pounds through it, I'd say it has 10-15lbs through mine. I do same puck prep as my Max and P64 MP, and get channeling most frequently on the MC4. I'm past 10 on the grind dial now. Many think 25lbs or more for the TiN coated burrs is when the MC4 settles into a good spot. I'm going to buy some stale beans on ebay and run another 15-20 through mine. If you have the non-TiN burrs, more like 5-10lbs of seasoning is recommended.

Here's one of this posts
https://forums.kafatek.com/t/is-my-seas ... 4/10396/44

#5: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

cibby wrote: Max Shuriken, don't think many feel seasoning is necessary. I got mine used, Sept '21 build, has been fantastic since my day 1. I'm in the 1-2 dial range for espresso.
On my MAX I cannot get to 1, the range starts with 1.5 or 2. I tried 1, and heard the sound of the burrs touching each other. I don't think it is normal, is it?

nsuster
Supporter

#6: Post by nsuster »

TallDan wrote:Let taste be your guide. If you're enjoying what you are getting out of the grinder now, I wouldn't waste time and coffee on seasoning.

I didn't do any bulk seasoning on my flat max. I'd say that the espresso is better now than when I first got it, which supports the idea that seasoning improves shots. However, I've also adjusted my processes around the grinder. There's no shortcut to seasoning the barista.

There's an active thread in the kafatek forum with people talking about seasoning their grinders, and honestly, I think some of them have taken this idea way too far.
No need to season the burrs in my mind if you like what you're tasting. They'll eventually settle in. Personally, I think it's probably overkill to run 15 kg of coffee through the grinder. Just enjoy the ride!

BaristaBob

#7: Post by BaristaBob »

I understand running pounds of coffee through new burrs, but when I got my MC2 (TiN coated), I just used it. As you said, the espresso is really good, and over time it will get even better. When I first started using the grinder, my setting was 7 to 9. Within a few months it was down in the range of 3 to 6 and has stayed in that range ever since (three and half years later). Less channeling over time too, but that probably includes better puck prep as well, so I can't really said how much of that was due to "seasoned" burrs.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a MF when pre-orders open to compare to my MC2.

Enjoy your new grinders!!!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

#8: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

Found somewhat cheap beans on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384294452737

Are they good for seasoning?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

When I got my MAX, I just watched the sale ads for the local grocers. When they had whole bean on sale I got 5 pounds cheap. I ran about 3 pounds through it in several batches over a day. You do not want to run it non-stop. That was plenty for me, and have a couple of pounds left for the next grinder.
Dave Stephens

#10: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

I got an answer in the Monolith manual. The conical needs seasoning with just 2-3 lb of beans but can be used without it. MAX does not need seasoning, but 2-3 lb are also optional.

Hence, per Denis manual, each of the two grinders will be perfectly seasoned within two-three weeks with my rate of coffee consumption.