How often to replace burrs Macap M4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
floydo

#1: Post by floydo »

Took my M4 apart for cleaning and had some old burrs I had removed after about 4 years, and now the currently installed replacements are about 5 years, or 200-300# used. I had posted in an old thread 2009 about this and noted the fingernail test then showed the then replacements sharper than the 4 YO set.
Burr Wear Indication

So now 5 years later pulled out the old burrs that were replaced at that time, and they are definitely sharper at the outside cutting edges than the current ones, and the inside cutting edges appear slightly sharper. Tried to compare the two under a 30x loop, but it is really difficult and subtle, relying on light reflections. The fingernail test seems more perceptive. That said, looking at manufacturer/industry replacement recommendations, the Mazzer and Macap have 58mm flat burrs with a recommended 600# and 300kg replacement from two sources. These recommendations may be based on some factor like taste, but it seems like last time there was not much difference in taste before and after replacement, but less hunting back and forth for fine grind adjustments....
So the fingernail test is telling, and there seems to be less hunting, and the number of pounds may be a lot less than specified...
Great thing about the Macap is the burr set is less than $45 shipped, and replacement is easy....
Time flies, and the Grinder still purrs along....

lagoon

#2: Post by lagoon »

Mine is 6 years old and goes through about a kilo a week (domestic use).

Opened it up recently - not only were the burrs remarkably clean and shiny, the edges looked perfect to my eye. Tempered steel is a lot harder than a coffee bean.

Always used good quality fresh beans from the local roaster. Never ground from frozen or supermarket beans if that makes a difference. I've also never had the misfortune of a stone or foreign object go through, and I don't use rice or "grindz" etc.

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

Have the MC4. I replace them every 200 pounds. I don't accept manufacturer's 400-800 lbs statement.

I notice a significant improvement in cup quality when I change them.
-----
LMWDP #339

floydo (original poster)

#4: Post by floydo (original poster) »

Just to clarify, my bean history has been primarily with a couple local roasters, and lots of sampling of other local roasters. When playing with adjustments in tamping, temperature and time, or palate acquaintance, I have been known to get Costco espresso beans and rip thru most of a bag..The beans I like have been a darker roast, but for burr wear I would think it shouldn't make a significant difference. Twice in the original set of burrs I heard a rock...once I found it prior to its being ground....didn't see anything on the burrs at the time....
If burrs were $200 like some of the big boy grinders, I would consider carefully about replacing, but for the Macap price, it is not more work than doing a good cleaning....

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by emradguy »

MACAP Italy once told me they recommend 400kg lifetime for the burrs on the M4.

Like others have said, a new set is cheap, and if you're already doing a deep cleaning, then putting a new set on is identical to reinstalling the old one. You may as well put a new set on, then see if it makes a noticeable difference to you.
LMWDP #748