How many shims to use from Baratza Sette 270wi shim kit?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BKSinAZ

#1: Post by BKSinAZ »

My kit just arrived from Baratza with two shims. Baratza's website directions say to add one shim, but should I install both?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

You only add one at a time, assuming that one does the trick. That is, when your grinder gets worn in, to the point where turning the macro dial to the finest setting or nearly to the finest setting can no longer choke your espresso machine, then you add a shim. Usually, once the grinder is no longer new, you won't have to add a second shim for a long time, if ever.

Henry_k

#3: Post by Henry_k »

BKSinAZ wrote:My kit just arrived from Baratza with two shims. Baratza's website directions say to add one shim, but should I install both?
I added two, because I use it only for espresso - now it is around 11.

RFK250

#4: Post by RFK250 »

Nunas wrote:You only add one at a time, assuming that one does the trick. That is, when your grinder gets worn in, to the point where turning the macro dial to the finest setting or nearly to the finest setting can no longer choke your espresso machine, then you add a shim. Usually, once the grinder is no longer new, you won't have to add a second shim for a long time, if ever.
^ This. I was able to use my 270wi for about 4 months before needing to add a shim. That put my espresso setting right into the middle of the dial. Two would have been overkill.

NicaDon

#5: Post by NicaDon »

I had to add a shim after 3-4 months, then as the setting again slipped to 3 four months later added the second. Now around 10-11.
LMWDP #730